The function of the Media Relations department is to promote and protect the Target brand, maintaining Target's image as a successful retailer and responsible corporate citizen. Each day, company spokespeople respond to and approve media inquiries for more than 1,400 Target stores nationwide, including basic company information; expansion and store openings; product partnerships, product details, and recalls; and crisis communication. The department interacts with many areas throughout the company, especially Publicity, Events Marketing, Advertising, Legal, Merchandising, Real Estate and Store Operations. In addition, stores rely on Media Relations to provide counsel during a crisis situation or media interview.
- Assisting Media Relations team by researching media inquiries with appropriate internal partners
- Coordinating media visits to stores, as well as interviews with store management
- Developing speaking points for company spokespeople
- Writing press releases and coordinating approvals
- Acting as a liaison between Media Relations and external public relations agencies when fulfilling product images and/or product sample requests
- Maintaining department information
- Routing media calls to appropriate spokesperson
- Interacting with news media, but not as a quotable source
- Conducting research on Bacons, online, etc.
- Attending staff meetings and other appropriate media relations related
- Pursuing or recently received a bachelor's degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making skills
- Team-oriented thinking
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in all situations
- Strong planning and organizations skills with the ability to multi-task
- Assertiveness and strong initiative
- Strong computer skills
- Desire to work quickly, juggle multiple projects, and learn by doing.
To apply for this position, please click here.