Public Affairs staff use a diverse range of media — including the Internet, Intranet, print and electronic publications, and audio and video recordings — to effectively convey institutional messages. Interns have the opportunity to gain practical knowledge from collaboration with experienced colleagues.
The goal of communication activity at Mayo Clinic is to further our primary value, "the needs of the patient come first." Our staff works toward that goal directly and indirectly, each and every day. The atmosphere is energizing, professional, and respectful. The need for excellent communicators is constant. Assignments are interesting and varied. An internship with Mayo Clinic will be a valuable learning opportunity, one that we believe you will never forget.
Interns with the Department of Public Affairs at
Typically, interns are asked to:
- Conduct interviews and write articles for Mayo publications and
- Develop communication plans for internal clients
- Write news releases, respond to media inquiries, assist with news conferences, and coordinate and supervise media interviews on campus
- Research, write, edit, and coordinate production of general information materials for patients
- Write scripts and coordinate production of audiovisual presentations and/or videos
- Research and develop web content for MayoClinic.org
- Journalism, mass communications, or public relations majors preferred
- Junior, senior or graduate standing
- Strong writing skills
- Computer skills
- Major G.P.A. of 3.5; overall G.P.A. of 3.2
- Completion of basic courses in news writing, script writing, marketing, or public relations helpful
- Previous internship experience preferred
To search and apply for internships that may be available, please use the online application. At the appropriate prompt during the online application, you need to attach a cover letter along with your resume, three (3) writing samples and an unofficial college/university transcript (official transcript will be required at the time of an interview). Letter(s) of recommendation from a college professor would be a plus.
For more information, please contact:
Department of Human Resources
200 First Street SW