As a respected voice in the environmental community, electric industry, and regulatory agencies, WOW works with a variety of players to facilitate the development of wind power and transmission in the Midwest. WOW works in 3 primary areas:
- Technical: works with electric utility companies and regional transmission planning organization that conduct transmission studies, integrate wind power into the electric "grid", and operate the electric energy market in the Midwest
- Regulatory: intervenes in proceedings at state public utilities commissions that impact the development of renewable energy and transmission lines
- Education/Outreach: organizes outreach meetings, makes presentations at conferences, collaborates with environmental colleagues, educates a variety of stakeholders from landowners to governor's offices, serves as a primary resource on wind power and transmission issues in the Midwest
WOW seeks a Communications Manager to design, develop, and implement a communications program to build awareness of the organization's mission, work, and achievements.
The Communications Manager is responsible for both internal and external communications with WOW members, supporters, foundations, donors, media and the general public, and the WOW web site. The Communications Manager will represent WOW at public events. The Communications Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, WOW staff and consultants, WOW members and colleague organizations. Location for the position is in the WOW offices in St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Produce a clear and simple communications plan with measurable goals and deliverables
- Enhance (or redesign as necessary), the WOW web site capabilities including the use of cutting edge communications tools; maintain web site content and add to or refresh content as required
- Produce regular updates for WOW members, supporters, funders, colleagues in the form of newsletters and e-updates
- In coordination with WOW staff and consultants, hold periodic webinars to update members and other stakeholders on WOW work and priority issues
- In coordination with WOW staff and consultants, design and produce "Transmission 101" webinars for NGO colleagues and other stakeholders
- Create and disseminate fact sheets on priority wind and transmission issues to WOW members, decision-makers, the media and other stakeholders
- Develop, support and participate in messaging campaigns around key events such as the release of the Upper Midwest Transmission Development Initiative (UMTDI) transmission lines and cost allocation methodology, moving the Midwestern Governors Association (MGA) Midwestern Infrastructure Accord 2009 forward, and other pertinent key events
- Establish and maintain contacts with key media outlets across the WOW footprint
- Produce and disseminate press releases
- Represent WOW to the media and in public forums
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree required; advanced degree in Communications, Public Relations and/or Marketing preferred
- Experience with utility regulatory proceedings, environmental issues, legislative proceedings in the areas of energy and the environment, or similar experience required
- Past public service with state regulatory commissions or agencies, or other decision-making bodies highly desirable
- Experience with state legislative and/or state agency advocacy highly desirable
- Self-motivation, strong organizational skills, efficiency and persuasiveness in oral and written communications required
- Proven ability to meet frequent deadlines and balance multiple tasks required
- Experience working with a number of organizations with diverse opinions required
- Experience with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office applications and cutting-edge communications tools required
- Dedication to advancing the cause of environmental protection and renewable energy required
- Min Experience: 5-7 Years
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Linda Brewster. No phone calls, please.
Wind on the Wires is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
When you apply for this position, please say you saw this job on Green Dream Jobs!!Contact Information: