Join a team that is all about sports, great food, family and friends. Buffalo Wild Wings is a fast paced, high energy environment with amazing growth. To see for yourself, apply below.
The VP of Corporate Communications will be responsible for internal and external communication, including communication strategy and planning; team member and franchise communication; executive support; issues management; crisis communication; public relations; investor relations; and public affairs. This position will work with team members in existing positions who currently report to different departments, as well as with outside consultants. The ideal candidate will be a strategist as well as a hands-on communicator.
Local candidates are preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in a communication-related field and 10 or more years of experience in the field of organizational communication.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of organizational communication principles, practices and techniques. This should include up-to-date knowledge of the capabilities of electronic media, including social media, web sites and video.
- Extensive experience with internal communication is required.
- Experience in providing confidential communication counsel to senior executives, preferably in the restaurant or retail industry.
- Outstanding written communication skills, including a flawless command of grammar and punctuation.
- Communications experience to support media relations, reputation/brand management, investor relations, event management and franchisor/franchisee relationships is preferred.
- International and multi-cultural communication experience is a plus with an emphasis on international business expansion.
- Experience with cost/benefit analysis for communication programs would be a plus as company decision-making is highly data driven.
- A strong, strategic thinker and problem solver.
- An ability to set and balance short- and long-term priorities and remain focused within a rigorous, fast-paced and quickly changing environment. Effective project management skills and proven ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong people skills and the ability to manage through people-related issues.
- Ability to have a positive impact on a wide range of team members and audiences based on industry expertise, risk-assessment ability, experience and knowledge of how communication can affect financial results and team member engagement.
- Good business liaison capabilities; ability to build strong partnerships; a team player.
- Ability to mentor and develop subordinates.
- Strong empathy and listening skills.
- A positive, upbeat, “can-do” attitude.
- A firm commitment to ethics, honesty, integrity and credibility.
The position will lead and coordinate internal and external communication with team members, franchisees, the Board, media, the investment community, community/advocacy groups, and other key stakeholders.
The key accountabilities of the position include:
- Develop and execute an overall corporate communication strategy and annual internal and external communications plans and budgets consistent with the strategic business objectives established for Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Contribute to the development of company strategy with the company’s Leadership Team.
- Create and lead a communication team to develop and implement communication strategies, including both content and vehicles.
- Partner with the senior leadership team to develop strategic internal and external communication plans to support current and future business needs, including international expansion.
- Lead and direct team members from other departments who provide internal and external communication support. Plan, direct and coordinate the activities of assigned communication team members to ensure the effective and efficient creation and implementation of internal and external communication activities. Develop and refine communication channels and processes.
- Write, review and edit communication plans and materials developed by others, as needed to support business objectives.
- Develop and monitor ongoing systems for gathering information that might affect company decision-making.
- Develop systems for tracking performance of communication programs against measurable objectives, including informal and formal research processes.
- Monitor and manage issues and crises that might affect the company, and proactively make recommendations on response management.
- Provide executive communication support, which may include drafting/editing speeches and letters/emails; support large-group meetings; and provide follow-up materials to help communicate leadership decisions.
- Ensure both internal and external public relations programs adhere to corporate standards, promote the company's mission and vision, and complement and support the achievement of established objectives.
- Provide communication training and guidance to managers and leaders.
- Prepare and manage the Communication department budget.
- Able to travel up to 20% to support business events