Dow Advanced Materials has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Global Employee Communication Specialist in our Dow Water and Process Solutions Business in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Dow Advanced Materials Division is structured into the following businesses: Building and Construction, Specialty Materials, Electronic Materials, Adhesives and Functional Polymers, Dow Coating Materials. These dynamic businesses are built with differentiated, specialized technologies and products designed to leverage complementary market positions. Focused on the creation and development of innovative technologies and solutions for the specialty materials industry Dow Advanced Materials is leading the way.
The DW&PS employee communications specialist helps design, plan, and implement the business' employee communications programs, policies, and procedures. This position is also responsible for projects, programs and outreach that support sustainable development objectives for Dow and the communities in which our facilities operate.
He/she will provide counsel to the Edina leadership teams, as well as manage all employee communications, community relations, and assist with crisis communications for the Edina site. In addition, this individual will help develop and implement, with the regional contacts, employee communication strategies for the other DW&PS sites: Michigan Ops, Philadelphia, Chauny, Fombio, Stade, Tarragona, Soma, Shanghai and Qing Pu, Huzhou. Also, this individual serves as the Charitable Contribution focal point for Minnesota.
The DW&PS employee communicator is part of a business Public Affairs team that leverages skills and talent to meet the needs of clients and stakeholders. The incumbent will report directly to the Global Brand and Communications Leader for Dow Water & Process Solutions.
- Helps design, plan, and implement the business' employee relations/communications programs, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains good communication and positive relationships with employees to promote employee satisfaction.
- Write and distribute: DW&PS people news and other business broadcasts.
- Coordinate global quarterly employee communications meetings.
- Develop, implement and manage employee communications at the Edina site including:
- Manage content and updates for the Edina Ops Intranet site
- Manage content and updates for the DowEdina.com website
- Post site messages to the CCTV system as needed
- Write and publish the Edina Operations Weekly Update internal newsletter
- Assist with HR-related initiatives, mostly recruiting and training requests
- Write and send out site-wide e-mails
- Monitor, distribute and post ESQs.
- Help organize site quarterly communications meetings
- Develop and implement local employee engagement activities around Dow Corporate-driven events, such as United Way, Live Earth, health-related programs: 12%, etc.
- Provide counsel to the Edina Operations site leadership team, anticipating needs and assuring strategic alignment to site MI plans and priorities with a clear focus on results.
- Develop and implement a Site Leadership engagement strategy to ensure site leaders are appropriately engaged with key community boards and organizations.
- Measure community perception and identify community priorities through Key Influencer and/or Community Success surveys, achieving at least 70% positive community perception rating.
- Develop and implement a Community Relations strategy for the Edina site and manage community outreach activities including event sponsorships and participation on appropriate boards and committees.
- Help HR leverage existing branding campaign to help attract/recruit talent
- Manage Edina Community Outreach Team (COT) meetings:
- work with facilitator to identify topics of interest
- arrange for speakers and ensure they are prepared, ensure meeting logistics are managed
- present information about community-related topics, at quarterly employee site meetings
- communicate with site leadership and community leaders about the COT purpose and topics of interest
- measure COT effectiveness annually
- Manage all charitable contributions programs (community grants, event sponsorships, signature projects) in alignment with Dow's Global Donation Business Rules and priorities identified by Community Success and Key Influencer Survey results.
- Proactively identify and manage issues that may negatively impact Dow's reputation in the Edina area.
- Serve as a member of the Site Leadership Teams (as necessary)
- Provide emergency communications support for crisis situations on and off site
University degree with a major in employee communications or public relations.
Excellent verbal and written skills.
Job Information and working condition: (e.g. physical requirements, preferred work experiences, job/project duration, language requirements, travel requirements, work schedule options, etc.)
3-5 years of professional work experience in similar role or with communications agency preferred.
Dow Values, especially
- Respect for people
- Outside-in focus
Commitment to Results
- Takes initiative, makes timely decisions, and consistently delivers on commitments.
- Delivers results against clearly defined Public Affairs and Site objectives
- Measures success of internal and external programs and assess appropriate usage and areas for improvement
- Understands Dow and site strategies
- Leadership in managing broad, diverse community opportunities for Dow in support of sustainable development
- Develops and implements site PA strategies and plans that is integrated with site MI plans and based on thorough understanding key stakeholders.
- Understands the products/markets/services produced within Edina Operations
Leadership and Management
- Provides counsel to Site Leadership based on a clear understanding of site and PA priorities and objectives.
- Engages and motivates site leadership on strategies with Public Affairs implications
- Ensures planning and spending of Public Affairs and Charitable Giving budgets along strategic site priorities and in line with Public Affairs/Charitable Giving procedures and policies
- Demonstrates excellent supplier management skills and ability to meet budget and project goals.
Public Affairs and Employee Communication Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Has education and experience in both employee and community communications
- Key competencies include: interpersonal skills, leadership, teamwork and innovation
- Strong organizational skills
- Able to facilitate relationship building with key external stakeholders
- Strong team player that leverages experiences across several sites
- Strong understanding of Dow's e-communications tools
- Demonstrated ability to provide crisis communications support through internal and external communications tools in any emergency situation
Primary LocationNorth America-USA-Minnesota-Minneapolis