|Title: Communications Specialist|
|Location: Colborne Admin Offices|
|Provide support to the Communications Director for increasing community/stakeholder engagement through the effective use of print, broadcast and electronic communication formats and support the creation and production of the District's marketing and accountability publications, internal communications, electronic and social media strategies, community outreach efforts and business/school partnerships. |
This position reports to the Communications Director.
|Minimum Qualifications |
- Bachelors degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field and
- Two years of professional level experience with increasing levels of responsibility in communications, multimedia production, marketing/promotions or public relations.
- Must submit a portfolio of related work.
- Experience in school district communications and/or public relations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of layout, design and printing processes.
- Considerable knowledge of video and audio production techniques and strategies.
- Considerable knowledge of cable systems technology.
- Considerable knowledge of digital graphics and web design.
- Considerable knowledge of photographic techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of journalism.
- Considerable knowledge of the technological tools and software necessary to carrying out the duties of the position including Flash, Photoshop, Quark, Acrobat, non-linear editing software and other appropriate software applications.
- Working knowledge of project management and cost analysis/monitoring.
- Considerable skill in oral and written communications.
- Considerable ability to interact effectively with both individuals and groups in a multicultural setting.
- Considerable ability to plan and develop communications projects.
- Considerable ability to research, collate and classify data for utilizing in developing communications for a variety of media.
- Considerable ability to function as a member of a team.
|The essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following fundamental duties: |
- Write a variety of communications (e.g. press releases, personal interest stories, newsletters, etc.) for the purpose of keeping the media and public informed of district activities.
- Layout, design and produce a web site, electronic newsletters and other publications for the purpose of ensuring district information is disseminated in a quality format.
- Collaborate with district personnel for the purpose of developing public communications, including press releases, e-mail items or videotapes.
Develop the district e-mail newsletter containing print and broadcast stories (e.g. write, edit, disseminate, etc.) for the purpose of keeping the public and staff informed.
- Maintain excellent relations with students, principals, teachers, other staff and community members for the purpose of serving as a communications liaison for schools.
- Maintain videotape and related equipment (e.g. cameras, editors, tape machines, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of required equipment.
- Operate a variety of video, audio and computer equipment for the purpose of producing programs for both broadcast and e-mail distribution.
- Prepare programming related materials for the purpose of enhancing the Districts cable programming.
- Record district programs and events (e.g. photographs, videotape, etc.) for the purpose of passing these recordings on to the public.
- Develop and maintain a digital archive of photographs and video clips for use in print and multimedia productions.
- Respond to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, public agencies, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and facilitating communication among parties.
- Assist in arranging media interviews for the purpose of keeping the media informed of the correct information concerning the District.
- Assist with the planning, coordination and implementation of recognition programs and special events for the purpose of ensuring the programs are run according to district expectations and guidelines.
- Research current web and internet technology for the purpose of keeping current with new technology.
- Maintain literacy in technology tools to facilitate the efficient and effective production of multimedia presentations, including use of word processing and desktop publishing applications along with familiarity with spreadsheet, database, graphics, and presentation applications.
- Contribute to the District's inclusive workplace efforts by fostering a safe, welcoming and respectful environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
|Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule|
|This is a 12 month position working 40 hours per week. |
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Professional Employees' Association negotiated labor agreement. The labor agreement and salary schedule can be found at http://hr.spps.org/Labor_Agreements.html. The minimum rate of pay for this position is $47,289 annually.
Benefits are available to new employees after 30 days of active employment. Benefits include medical insurance, life insurance, sick leave, pension plan, tax-free retirement account, and flexible spending account. Some employee groups also receive vacation, dental insurance and disability insurance. A benefits summary is available at http://www.hr.spps.org/Benefits_Summary_by_Union.html.
|Criminal Background Investigation and Reference Checks - Reference checks and a criminal background investigation will be completed as a condition of hire for all new employees and for former employees who have not been employed by the District for more than six months.|
|How To Apply|
|To be considered further, please apply for this position and attach a resume and cover letter to your online application. |
The Human Resource Department will review your application materials and contact you regarding the next steps.
To attach additional documents to your online application, click on the "Additional Attachments" link from the applicant homepage and upload your documents as attachments. Valid file extensions for attaching a document include .doc, .txt, .rtf, and .pdf.
|Equal Employment Opportunity|
|Saint Paul Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and supports an inclusive workplace environment.|