Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity is looking for a dynamic, organized, creative Communications Manager. In addition to media relations, this position will be involved in marketing, event and organization-wide messaging.
* Leading the annual review and development of organizational key messages.
* Writing the annual Communications Plan that provides direction and timing for the use of messages across all communications channels.
* Manage media relations, maintain existing media contacts and build new media relationships.
* Timely preparation and dissemination of press releases and media kits. Pitch stories to the media.
* Facilitate the scheduling of media interviews with applicable leadership or subject matter experts, develop briefing materials and prepare/train spokespeople for interviews, conduct follow-up and tracking of coverage.
* Coordinate media events, including event site logistics, scheduling and preparation of speakers. Coordinate pitching with sponsors, partners, and/or other organizations involved to secure coverage of the media event.
* Executive speech writing, including research and creation of talking points, as needed.
* Respond to media and public inquiries, representing the organization as a spokesperson when needed.
* Participate, as needed, in the materials production process with writing, editing and proofreading
* Facilitate the Habitat Editorial Board and oversee the publication of Habitat Herald newsletter and the Habitat Wire monthly e-newsletter.
* Work with appropriate staff to organize and script events, recruit and prepare speakers, work with and/or supervise communications consultants, and other duties necessary to create an effective event program.
* Promote events through earned media outreach.
* Develop, prepare and present staff communications trainings, as needed
* Present homebuyer communications trainings classes, as needed and requested.
Train, mentor, teach and lead assigned staff
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or related field. At a minimum, five years media relations or public relations-related experience and two years supervisory experience are required. Previous experience writing and editing organizational communications needed. Previous experience working as a journalist is preferred. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with good driving record.
* Business Acumen: Extensive knowledge of communications and media practices; local media and media contacts
* Communication: Excellent writing (detail-orientation and organization), creative skills and public speaking skills
* Interpersonal Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work effectively with external consultants and vendors
* Leadership: Able to supervise staff, volunteers
* Teamwork: Work in a team setting, and work inter-departmentally
* Prioritization: Able to plan, prioritize, multi-task, manage time and complete work assignments within deadlines
* Problem Solving: Make decisions and solve problems independently and effectively
* Technical Skills: Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge of Adobe InDesign and HTML preferred.
Note: applicants may be subject to skills-based testing.
Application deadline: July 23, 2010.
Please include cover letter, resume, references and three (3) writing samples in your submission.
Apply online now.