- Manages public appearances for Department leadership, speaking engagements and/or exhibits to increase awareness of Department and to promote public understanding.
- Assists with special events and communication events as assigned.
Memorializes Department activities and events with photography.
- Collaborates with Communications Director in creating, developing and implementing public relations strategy.
- Writes speeches for Department leadership and assists with implementation of speaker's bureau program.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze complex materials/information quickly and convey it clearly and persuasively into words at a level the targeted audiences understand
- Researches and create content for all public education and informational materials for the Department.
- Assists with marketing and advertising initiatives to garner increased exposure and understanding of Department by clientele and key audiences.
Media Relations Responsibilities:
- Develops media relationships which enhance image and position of the Department.
- Generates positive exposure that enhances overall communications strategy through pitching and other innovative media strategies.
- Arranges and coordinates logistics of press conferences and public ceremonies related to the Department.
- Creates and maintains press kit representative of Department.
- Prepares and distributes news releases and media advisories.
- Prepares journalistic/editorial responses to news articles specific to department activities
- Prepares scripts for radio and television interviews and appearances
Minimum Qualifications: KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Bachelor's degree in mass communications, public relations, journalism, English, or related field.
Experience writing and editing materials, such as news releases, articles, and marketing materials.
Knowledge of Associated Press Style.
Experience with photography and the creation of images designed to compliment written communications.
Experience with design and layout of publications using Desktop publishing software.
Experience in Web development and the production of Web content, marketing materials, and collateral material that demonstrates strong writing and editing skills.
NOTE: TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY, YOU MUST SUBMIT THREE WRITING SAMPLES BY 7/23/10 to ANNA LONG, DEPT. OF VETERANS AFFAIRS, 20 WEST 12th STREET, ST. PAUL, MN 55155 OR FAX IT TO: 651-296-3954 or e-mail it to: Anna.Long@state.mn.us
Requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes and heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. Even though the weights being lifted may only be a negligible amount, a job is in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree.
Requires a Class D Driver's License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver's license.
Preferred Qualifications: Considerable knowledge of journalistic principles and practices; writing requirements for the press, radio and television or for curriculum and educational materials.
Time management skills.
Knowledge of Veterans Programs and veteran's issues.
Selection Process: The selection process is a resume-based, skill-matching process. Your resume will be entered into a database. The software program matches your skills with the skills needed to perform the duties of the position. If your skills match the required skills for this position, the department may contact you.
If you have already submitted a resume to this database within the last 12 months that clearly identifies your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience, you do not need to submit another.
How to Apply: You are strongly encouraged to submit your resume to the database through the online Resume Builder at
If you have already submitted a resume to this database within the last 12 months that clearly identifies your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience, you do not need to submit another. However, to ensure consideration for this position, both new and returning applicants need to apply directly to this posting number by checking the Apply for this job box found near the top of this announcement.
Current State Employees: Please note that employment provisions (including but not limited to seniority and leave accrual) vary among the three branches of Minnesota State government. When considering a job with another branch of state government, you are highly encouraged to explore these differences. For assistance, please direct questions to both your current and anticipated Human Resources offices.
If you wish to apply with a paper copy, submit your resume AND a completed State of Minnesota Employment Application form to: Minnesota Management Budget (MMB), 400 Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street, St. Paul, MN 55155. Be sure to indicate the posting number of this job on your application. The paper application is available on the State Employment Web and MMB web sites, at any state agency HR office, or by calling 651-259-3637.
Contact for More Information: Roxie Kronick, 612/721-0672; firstname.lastname@example.org.