Take Your Education On A Mission!
The American Diabetes Association is the nation's leading nonprofit health organization providing diabetes research, information and advocacy. The mission of the American Diabetes Association is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
Get your foot in the door. Rather than shuffle papers around or make thousands of copies, work side-by-side with experts. You'll enjoy the satisfaction of seeing your work make a difference while you gain valuable job experience.
The ADA seeks a highly motivated, self-starting energetic student who is passionate about non-profit organization. Intern will directly support ADA staff and gain valuable skills while assisting with communications/public relations, event planning, corporate research and volunteer outreach for the American Diabetes Association in Minnesota market (Office located in St. Louis Park). This unpaid internship can provide school credit, portfolio building experience, a flexible schedule and valuable experience in the non-profit sector.
* Real world experience in coordinating fundraising events and educational programs through mission-related activities
* Opportunity to work closely with professional staff and local board members
* Networking with other corporations including media outlets, event sponsors and retail suppliers
* Gain working knowledge of public relations functions, tools, and strategies
* Field experience in general business, event coordinating, public/media relations, marketing, and fundraising
* College credit available
* Assist with event logistics and marketing
* Maintain large database through data entry
* Research sponsorship/grant opportunities with local corporations/businesses
* Project development and management
* Generate warm leads for ADA staff through cold calling
* Attend committee/board meetings and complete minutes
* Secure in-kind donations
* Represent ADA as needed at health fairs or present ADA materials
Duration: 2010 Fall and/or 2011 Spring Semester
Hours: 15 - 35 hours per week (based on students availability)
* Excellent interpersonal communications skills
* Excellent research skills
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Proficiency in database management and design of spreadsheets (Microsoft Word & Excel required)
* Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment
To apply, please visit http://careers.diabetes.org/. Applications online are required.
This internship offers extensive breadth of real-world experience and provides a great start to a career in Public Relations and the Non-Profit industry.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
"Together we can Stop Diabetes"