Edina Community Center
Works under the direction of the Director of Community Relations and Community Education Services to identify communication issues and needs for Edina Public Schools. Assists with the development and implementation of a plan that communicates information about District issues, events and services to internal and external audiences.
Education, Knowledge and Skills:
· Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or related field.
· Two or more years of related work experience.
· Experience working with communications consultants on projects.
· Must possess a thorough understanding of communications.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Considerable knowledge of and ability to use word processing, graphics, desk top publishing, lay-out and design, web design and content management, video production, technical writing, and reporting. Skills we are seeking include InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Communication experience with schools desirable.
· Assists in the management and delivery of the District’s communication plan.
· Assists in identifying communication issues.
· Writes articles for and assists with the production and distribution of resident and staff newsletters.
· Assists in the management and design of the Districts websites and video production needs such as editing, shooting, etc are a plus.
· Coordinates the taking of photographs and maintains a file of photographs, etc. which help chronicle school events, activities, programs and services.
· Creates and/or develops and distributes, as needed, to appropriate audience, news media, or other special interest publication:
o Paid advertisements for placement
o News releases
o Other materials such as reports of Board of Education meetings, Superintendent updates, etc.
· Assists with the preparation and coordination of communication in the event of an emergency or disaster.
· Creates, maintains, and manages District web pages and site in coordination with District Media and Technology Services.
· Assists with the selection, contracting, and supervision of communication consultants.
· Helps plan and coordinate special events for the District and attends District meetings as assigned (note: some evening and weekends).
· Assists with the District’s Communications Advisory Council.
· Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
This is a full-time position. Terms and conditions are governed under the Community Education Services Personnel Policies & Practices Agreement. The salary range is $51,017 - $59,800 dependent upon qualifications, experience, etc.
Application Deadline: November 15, 2010
Application Process: Apply online