The communications intern should be actively enrolled in a university or college public relations, public affairs, marketing, advertising, communications or other related program. Candidates will preferably have at least sophomore standing. The individual must demonstrate the ability to undertake basic writing assignments, and posses an understanding of basic media relations skills, an ability to interact professionally with customers and exhibit good judgment. A working knowledge of computers, as well as word processing and database management software is necessary. Design and layout experience is favorable. Interns will work between 15-25 hours a week; summer interns will work 40 hours per week. Prior relevant experience is preferred.
The communications intern is responsible for contributing to all aspects of the communications department within the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs. The intern in this position will serve as a full-time staff member working with the communications team. This is an unpaid position, but may be eligible for credit.
- Assists with the development and updating of media lists and other databases
- Assists with the management of newspaper and periodical inventories for easy access.
- Assists with marketing and branding campaigns
- Assists with media relations duties
- Tracks and compiles media clips and media reports
- Drafts feature and news stories for veteran publications (within the organization and around the state)
- Assists with research and survey development
- Assists with promotion and event planning assistance
- Assists with strategic communication planning
- Assists other staff with projects as needed
Ability to balance multiple responsibilities - Excellent written communication skills - Strong verbal communication skills - Ability to multi-task - Strong organizational skills - Creative thinker - Self-starter - Good computer skills - Layout and design experience is a plus
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to:
Anna Lewicki Long, Communications Director
Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Attn: Anna Lewicki Long
20 West 12th Street
St. Paul, MN 55155-2098
Application Deadline: January 14, 2011