This is a highly visible position which represents the College to its various audiences and the public through external and internal print, broadcast, electronic media and other public and media relations activities. Proactively innovates, plans, coordinates and implements media and public relations initiatives, as well as internal communications strategies that produce positive regional, statewide and national visibility and public goodwill for the College while also accurately and thoroughly informing faculty and staff of College priorities and activities. Advises president, vice presidents, deans, department chairs and faculty regarding promotion, publicity, key messages and communication. Interprets college and departmental policies, practices and data to local, state and national news media. Negotiates and manages the contracts and supervision of outside marketing and media contracts.
* At least five years of demonstrated success in media and public relations or journalism, preferably in leadership role.
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills; effective organizational skills.
* Ability to work independently, to gain respect of media representatives, to effectively advise senior leadership team, and to supervise students.
* Ability to effectively coordinate outside counsel in marketing, media and public relations activities.
* Well versed in using social media, such as blogs, podcasts, RSS, Twitter and Facebook, to reach media and external communities.
* Good public speaking skills.
* Adept at using Microsoft Word, Outlook and digital photo editing software.
* Highly motivated, creative and enthusiastic.
* Must be willing and able to attend college events at a variety of times and days.
* Experience as media representative for higher education institutions and being familiar with sensitive College and departmental data, policies, practices, and state and federal regulations.
* Able to explain in simple and understandable terms how departmental policies and practices advance the mission of the College.
* Experience in media campaigns and project management.
Application Process: Qualified Candidates Should Submit:
A letter of interest addressing the required qualifications and preferred characteristics (not to exceed 5 pages).
A current resume.
A Normandale Community College application form (may be completed on our website Normandale Employment Application Form) including three professional references.
Application materials should be submitted directly to the college either by e-mail (Cyndee.Robinson@normandale.edu), fax (952-487-8265), on-line through our website Normandale Employment Application Form or by regular mail to:
Personnel Services Representative
Normandale Community College
9700 France Avenue South
Bloomington, MN 55431