This position is responsible for assisting with the creation, development, and implementation of a comprehensive communications and public relations program that will enhance the image and position of the MN Department of Veterans Affairs within the state.
- Manages public appearances for Department leadership, speaking engagements and/or exhibits to increase awareness of Department and to promote public understanding.
- Assists with special events and communication events as assigned.
Memorializes Department activities and events with photography.
Assists webmaster with content for website.
- Collaborates with Communications Director in creating, developing and implementing public relations strategy.
- Writes speeches for Department leadership and assists with implementation of speaker's bureau program.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze complex materials/information quickly and convey it clearly and persuasively into words at a level the targeted audiences understand
- Researches and create content for all public education and informational materials for the Department.
- Assists with marketing and advertising initiatives to garner increased exposure and understanding of Department by clientele and key audiences.
Media Relations Responsibilities:
- Develops media relationships which enhance image and position of the Department.
- Generates positive exposure that enhances overall communications strategy through pitching and other innovative media strategies.
- Arranges and coordinates logistics of press conferences and public ceremonies related to the Department.
- Creates and maintains press kit representative of Department.
- Prepares and distributes news releases and media advisories.
- Prepares journalistic/editorial responses to news articles specific to department activities
- Prepares scripts for radio and television interviews and appearances
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Bachelor's degree in mass communications, public relations, journalism, English, or related field.
Three years professional experience in writing and editing materials, such as news releases, articles, and marketing materials. Internships and post graduate work applies.
Experience developing marketing materials and collateral material, such as brochures, posters and web content.
Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) journalistic techniques for presenting information to broad audiences.
Experience with photographic manipulation and the creation of images designed to compliment written communications.
Experience with design and layout of publications using Desktop publishing software.
Computer graphics skills and experience using Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign software.
Working knowledge and experience with research, maintenance and updating in Social Networking such as Twitter and Facebook.
Advanced oral and written communication skills.
Requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes and heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. Even though the weights being lifted may only be a negligible amount, a job is in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
Requires a Class D Driver's License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver's license. Operators may also tow vehicles/trailers as long as the a gross combination weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.
Get more details and apply here.