This position will support Feed My Starving Children’s (FMSC) communications, marketing and public relations strategies by managing the organization’s social media presence, engaging in online conversations, and planning and developing written and multi-media content. The incumbent will be responsible for effectively representing FMSC and its Christian mission, and building visibility and thought leadership that contributes to financial support.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, manage and expand FMSC’s social media presence and reputation through the FMSC WordPress blog and e-newsletter, as well as FMSC’s accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and other online platforms.
- Advise FMSC management on optimal use of networking and recruiting tools (such as LinkedIn) for business objectives.
- Optimize FMSC’s visual accounts such as YouTube and Flickr with multi-media content, working with designers as necessary for branding.
- Plan and record podcasts, videos and screen casts for FMSC’s online and social media channels, mastering recording equipment and basic editing software.
- Monitor and engage in online conversations to build visibility and thought leadership for FMSC. Seek to increase fan numbers and interactions; track mentions of organization and escalate issues or opportunities to supervisor.
- Create content calendars for FMSC’s social media sites; anticipate need for additional content.
- Serve as assignment editor and managing writer/editor for social media content, assigning, gathering, and preparing content from other FMSC writers and sources as needed.
- Assist in developing other communication pieces as assigned, such as news releases and press materials, newsletter content, web content, and position papers.
- Monitor and maintain FMSC’s profiles on third-party charity review websites.
- Support Development and Marketing Departments with strategic counsel and content related to mobile applications, including QR codes.
- Establish metrics to measure results and value, generate reports on regular basis, and make recommendations for improvements or new initiatives.
- Teach other FMSC staff or partners to use social media tools as necessary to participate as content contributors and to use social media responsibly.
- Monitor new social media tools, including their use by other organizations; make recommendations to supervisor for adoption of new technologies.
- Maintain current knowledge of social media best practices and participate in professional networking.
- Attend scheduled meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Commitment to support, promote and authentically communicate about FMSC’s Christian mission and goals.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, English, or Communications.
- Minimum of one year of experience in a communications, public relations or marketing function for a media outlet, corporation or non-profit.
- Highly involved in and savvy with social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube) and Web 2.0; proficient with Microsoft Office Suite. Photography and videography experience desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to ascertain the priorities of a particular audience, craft persuasive and compelling social-based content to that audience, and use sound judgment.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; ability to work in a team environment and as a liaison to other departments.
- Ability to work well independently and take initiative.
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
Supervisor: National Marketing Director
Application Instructions: Email your cover letter, resume and three samples of social media or online
content work for an organization or promotional/advocacy project (i.e. blogs, Facebook posts, YouTube creation, Flickr account, etc.) to email@example.com. Please note “Online Community Associate” & your first & last name in the email subject line. Applications accepted through Monday, May 2, 2011.