This is a new position, resulting from a reorganization undertaken to better align staff responsibility with the League’s work and improve communication with key audiences, including members, policymakers and opinion leaders. The successful candidate will have strong fundamental strategic communications skills, an understanding of Minnesota’s public affairs landscape and a desire to participate as a collaborative member of a small dynamic staff committed to finding Common Ground for the Common Good.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Advancement, the Communications Committee, and others to develop and execute a strategic communications plan that advances the League’s work and builds brand awareness by delivering the League’s message to a broad audience, using new and traditional media, written materials and presentations.
- Serve as managing editor of the Minnesota Journal, the Citizens League’s signature bimonthly public policy publication. This function includes:
- Planning and coordination of the overall direction of the Journal, including potential redesign and reformat in 2012.
- Scheduling annual planning meeting, and regular content planning meetings, with key staff
- Recruiting and coordinating with article authors, including Citizens League staff and members
- Ensuring thematic consistency throughout each issue
- Editing individual articles and final drafts
- Coordinating with graphic design and printing team
- Managing and hiring a proof reader
- Lead the day-to-day management of the Citizens League’s website. Ensure that content on the website is compelling, accurate, and up-to-date.
- Be responsible for writing and producing external communications materials, including news releases, media advisories, weekly email newsletter and related items. Assist Director of Advancement with content for appeals and renewal letters to membership.
- Lead development and execution of the social media strategy for the Citizens League. Serve as the primary social media voice and manage the Citizens League’s presence on Facebook, Twitter, in our blogs, and other social media outlets. Integrate these tools to advance the League and its mission. Coordinate use of CitiZing, the Citizens League’s civic engagement network, with project staff.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Communications Committee.
- Provide media relations counsel and support to the Executive Director and others on staff and serve as the initial contact for media inquiries.
- Work closely with the policy and project staff to develop and execute strategies for highlighting their ongoing work, communicating project results and findings, and, when appropriate, developing strategy to engage members in additional action steps.
- Manage content and production of the Annual Report.
- Develop and ensure consistent use of Citizens League style guide.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Minimum of four years communications experience with demonstrated proficiency in both new and traditional media.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to values aligned with the Citizens League’s mission, vision, operating principles and civic guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience participating in the execution of a strategic communications plan.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive of and undertake creative strategies aimed at improving results.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to provide outstanding customer service.
$38,000 - $56,000 (full-time equivalent salary), based on experience and qualifications
HOW TO APPLY
Resumes will be accepted through June 17, 2011. Send a resume and cover letter with contact information to:
Attn: Dani Fisher, Director of Advancement
555 N Wabasha Street, Suite 240
Saint Paul, MN 55102