PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Provide administrative support and assistance to the Communications Coordinator with internal and external communications and marketing in the City of Brooklyn Park. Responsibilities include being the city’s webmaster and intranet coordinator, editor of the city’s employee newsletter, media relations assistant and feature writer for city publications. Duties also include being one of the city’s top cheerleaders!
SALARY RANGE: $11.00 an hour
ANTICIPATED HIRING WAGE: $11.00 an hour
ANTICIPATED WORK SCHEDULE: Part-time flexible hours (20 hours a week), non-benefited position. Does include some night and weekend hours.
• Pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree with completed course work in any area of strategic communications, journalism or marketing
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite with emphasis on Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
• Ability to determine priorities, handle multiple tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision/direction
• Ability to present a professional, positive image and attitude
• Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external customers
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance with Data Practices Act
• Excellent creative writing skills and storyteller
• Ability to embrace city’s mission statement and core values and work them into all city communications
• Strong knowledge of the Associated Press (AP) Style Guide
Computer Software/Website/Social Media
• Previous experience designing, developing or maintaining web sites
• Technical ability to work on a Mac or PC
• Technical ability to run a “prosumer” video camera as well as a flip camera
• Knowledge of graphics program Adobe In-Design
• Knowledge of HTML
• Knowledge of Final Cut Pro or Avid video editing software
• Knowledge of social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Nixle
• Knowledge of podcasting and video podcasting
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to start a conversation with someone you don’t know
• Desire to learn new skills in a constantly changing field
• Strong curiosity about what’s happening in the world
• Strong interest in how local government works
SPECIAL NOTE: Only those applicants who meet all minimum qualifications will be considered further. Additional points
are given for each desired qualification met. Please read the qualifications carefully and complete the application in a
manner to clearly demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Required application forms and copies of this posting are available at the Customer Service Center in the lobby of City Hall, 5200 85th Ave. N., Brooklyn Park, and on the city web site www.brooklynpark.org. Applicants must complete a City of Brooklyn Park application form, a city supplemental application form, and supply three business/professional references. A resume is also desired. Applicants must also complete and submit the Communications Writing Exam.
CLOSING DATE: Application materials must be received by 5:00 p.m., Friday, June 3, 2011. Applications received after the closing date and time will not be considered for the position.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible
If you need assistance completing an application or need auxiliary aids please notify the
Human Resources Division at 763-493-8012 (763-493-8392 TDD).
The City of Brooklyn Park does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age,
sexual orientation, or disability in our employment or the provision of services.