Post Date:June 8, 2011
This position is responsible for all strategic communications for the organization, including marketing and public relations, using all relevant channels. This position directs NYLC voice and branding, and executes strategies to accomplish department goals and deliverables. The Director leads or supervises the development of communications across all departments and manages media relations and publications sales. The Director is also a member of the Leadership Team, and supervises marketing and communications staff.
Closing Date:July 6, 2011
Reports To: CEO
Scope of Supervision:
Marketing Associate (potential-new)
AmeriCorps Promise Fellow (potential-new)
- Provide vision, develop, and execute external communications and marketing strategy for the organization.
- Understand and represent market and audience perspective in internal planning processes.
- Primary responsibility for protection and growth of NYLC brand and reputation. Establish and maintain organizational style and branding to ensure consistency of voice and syntax. Approve branded collateral prior to production. Provide guidelines and training for a team of NYLC staff designated as communications support within programs and other departments.
- Lead communications and public relations efforts for the organization, creating and maintaining favorable relationships between the organization and stakeholders through internal (e.g., publications websites, social media) and external (e.g., mainstream media, education journals) vehicles.
- Supervise department staff, and coordinate with other key staff and national service positions, to ensure the department is meeting its goals and objectives.
- Provide direction to program directors and all staff to implement marketing of individual programs and services.
- Responsible for organizational publications, currently a quarterly print & online journal, monthly e-newsletters, standalone e-blasts, communicating content through the proper media mix.
- Develop collateral materials for all departments within the organization.
- Develop written materials specific to NYLC initiatives, including writing and editing content and working with external experts. Edit, produce, or approve program-specific materials.
- Manage media relations, including developing and maintaining a media list of primary contacts.
- Increase sales of publications online and at events, overseeing inventory, marketing, and promotions.
- Oversee the bookstore function at the National Service-Learning Conference.
- Manage budgets the department’s budget and budgeted amounts for specific projects.
- Track and report on the reach and impact of communications initiatives.
- Maintain organizational communications assets, such as photo files, archives of previous publications, etc.
- Support fundraising initiatives.
- Support maintenance of organizational library resources.
- Represent NYLC at conferences and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum seven years’ experience in marketing and communications.
- Experience hiring, working with, and managing vendors, such as web developers, writers, graphic artists, typesetters, proofreaders, and printers.
- Demonstrated success in brand strategy and implementation.
- Experience with writing for a variety of media.
- Experience with marketing planning and tactics, such as advertising, campaign development and execution, and promotions. Some experience with education audiences required.
- Experience managing staff in a team environment.
- Understanding of branding strategy.
- Familiarity with AP and APA style.
- Familiarity with graphics software programs.
- Understanding of media tracking and reporting.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong project management and direction skills.
- Flexibility regarding responding positively to changing demands and priorities.
- Excellent written communication and editorial skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on a PC platform.
To Apply: To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and salary/benefits
requirements to: email@example.com. Closes July 6, 2011.