The internship is an unpaid position, located in downtown Minneapolis at Greater Twin Cities United Way. Will fulfill academic credit requirements if applicable.
Department: Marketing Reports to: Marketing Coordinator
Time Commitment: 10-20 hours weekly, beginning August 15 through December. Hours and dates of internship are flexible (within an 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. workday) and may be set according to intern’s schedule. Hours may include some nights and weekends for events occurring during the internship.
Deadline: Applications accepted through August 10, 2011.
- Draft and write press releases and learn how to distribute to the media.
- Assist with writing and copy editing print and electronic communications.
- Assist with planning PR strategy for upcoming events.
- Learn how to track the value of public relations.
- Help at events in community. May include taking pictures, volunteering or drafting event recaps.
- Assist with social media strategy (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must.
- Enrolled in a degree program in marketing/communications, public relations, nonprofit administration or liberal arts.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office applications. Experience with blogging software or online content management a plus.
- Knowledge of/experience with the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience writing press releases and in public relations or communications preferred.
- Strengthen communication, marketing and public relations skills.
- Network with corporate communicators, marketing and social service professionals.
- Broaden knowledge of United Way, health and human service organizations, and the nonprofit community.
- Have an impact on public education and opinion regarding United Way and its role in the community.
- Parking reimbursement.