Saint Mary’s University is seeking an experienced, dynamic marketing and communication leader. This position is responsible for establishing and executing marketing and communications initiatives for the undergraduate college at Saint Mary’s University, which includes branding, advertising, public relations and social and online media. This position leads a team to develop all branding and communications strategy and messaging. This individual provides advice and counsel to the Senior Vice President relative to marketing and communications opportunities and collaborates with marketing and communication efforts at the graduate school.
Critical relations: Senior Vice President University Advancement; Associate Vice President, University Relations, Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs; Assistant Vice President, Development; Assistant Vice President, Alumni Relations; Director of Admissions.
- Serve as adviser to Senior Vice President on marketing and communications for the college. Works closely to develop strategies and key messages.
- Execute against marketing and communication strategies with support of team.
- Lead all college marketing efforts which include branding, advertising, paid-media placement, recruitment efforts and online media.
- Lead all external-facing communications for the college including media and community relations.
- Lead all internal-facing communications for the college
- Manage creative development and marketing vendor relationships.
- Work with Senior Vice President to identify and promote Saint Mary’s University on policy and government affairs issues.
- Provide recommendations to senior leadership on external college involvement and strategic partnerships with NGOs and community/ business organizations.
- Partner cross-functionally with department leaders to ensure the realization of institutional goals, including the Admissions and Alumni Relations departments.
- Act as spokesperson for college with media, governmental agencies and industry organizations in coordination with leadership.
- Represent the college in associations where active membership is deemed beneficial to the ongoing growth and success of the college.
- Provide counsel and support in all crisis situations; develop strategic contingency plans and lead communication in the event of such a crisis.
- Monitor marketing and media presence of the college.
- Manage University website and branding.
- Develop and maintain functional budgets.
Direction of Others:
Direct responsibility for managing functional leaders:
- Senior Communications Director
- Communications Director
- Creative Director
- Graphic Designer
- Marketing and Communication Coordinator
- Web Resources Coordinator
- Website and Web Development Director
- Sports Information Director
- Website Editor and New Media Specialist
Ensures effective organization structure and staffing to achieve organizational goals. Responsible for individual and team development in addition to performance management. Provide direction to other leaders in support of organizational strategy and objectives.
- Excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to counsel senior management
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate and influence others.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment and be able to work in a changing environment
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing programs to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact and operate both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Passion and support of the University’s mission
Minimum education and experience:
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor of arts or science in business, marketing, communications or a relevant field and a minimum of eight years marketing and communications experience. Candidate should have a minimum of five years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories. Candidate should have experience working for complex organizations and have successfully led teams and advanced organizational goals and priorities. Candidate is highly motivated and enjoys collaborating with others.
Preferred qualifications include a MBA or Master’s degree and experience in a higher education setting.
To apply, contact:
Stephanie Fox, Tunheim