Status: Part-time/Temporary/Seasonal (PTS) position, non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $18.00 to $20.00 per hour (Depending upon Experience)
Hours: 20 hours per week; schedule varies based on business needs
Reporting Relationship:Reports toCommunications Manager
The Communications Division supports all City departments/divisions and is responsible for leading the City’s communication and marketing efforts by ensuring the timely distribution of accurate, relevant information to citizens, businesses and employees in a manner that reflects the City’s high professional standards.
The Communications Assistant supports the Communications Division with the City’s internal and external communication and marketing efforts. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
· Serves as content coordinator for the City’s intranet and multimedia displays; generates and schedules content; imports and edits graphics; posts and organizes files.
· Updates City website and social media content.
· Provides general technical assistance to the communications team and other City staff with project coordination, writing, editing, photography and other related tasks.
· Works effectively with contracted graphic designer and other outside vendors.
· Monitors public inquiries submitted to Communications voicemail and/or Communications email and directs inquiries to subject matter experts as appropriate, or responds on behalf of division, while also maintaining database of such inquiries.
· Generates reports related to City’s social media platforms and website, and media coverage.
· Organizes and maintains division resources such as photos, print material libraries, premium items and other related material.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field
Work Experience:Minimum of three years of marketing/communications/PR experience including the following:
· Writing for internal and external audiences for full range of media, including print, web and social media.
· Collaborating with a team of communications professionals with a common goal.
· Creating and producing marketing collateral.
· Still photography experience desirable.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Self-directed and willing to take initiative
· Excellent written and verbal communication
Physical Requirements: This position requires the ability to lift/pull/push/move/carry up to 30 lbs, and the ability to bend/stand/reach.
All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the shared expectations: Customer Focus, Flexibility, Initiative, Results Orientation, Public Stewardship, and Teamwork.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
The City of Eden Prairie conducts professional reference and criminal history checks for all employees joining the organization. In addition, the following is required for this specific position:driver’s check (must have valid driver’s license and excellent driving record). All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Please complete an on-line application by the deadline located on our Web site at www.edenprairie.org, click on “Employment Opportunities.”
Application Deadline: Friday, October 28, 2011
Review Applications: October 31 – November 2
Communication to Candidates: Thursday, November 3, 2011
First Interview: Friday, November 4 or Monday, November 7
Final Interview: Wednesday, November 9, 2011