FLW is the largest fishing tournament organization in the world and offers anglers worldwide the opportunity to compete for millions in prize money in a number of tournament circuits each year. The goal of the FLW Public Relations department is to ensure external messaging projects organizational standards throughout all possible resources. The department is responsible for moderating the communications and all internal and external messaging throughout the organization and uses various monitoring and tracking programs to analyze the effectiveness of the efforts.
· Creating and maintaining media contact lists that target appropriate journalists and outlets
· Assisting with writing, editing and distributing news releases as assigned
· Assisting with writing copy for various publications and promotional material
· Pitching story ideas and securing media coverage
· Assisting in developing and increasing social media exposure
· Providing photo and video material for use by media outlets
· Archiving media clips
· Maintaining sponsor clip database and creating quarterly reports
· Assembling and distributing media kits
· Additional duties as assigned
The Public Relations/Communications Intern position requires excellent interpersonal and communications skills as well as the ability to work well as a team member under tight deadlines. A full range of public relations skills, including writing and editing copy for news releases, media guides, letters, commercials/ads and other promotional material is required. A thorough knowledge of AP style is required. A basic understanding of fishing terminology and techniques is beneficial. Pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related discipline is required. A working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook is required. Knowledge of PowerPoint, VOCUS, Scarborough Research and similar software is a plus. Solid organizational skills and strong interpersonal skills are essential. Photography and video skills are beneficial.