- Must be enrolled as a student at the University of Minnesota
- Must be able to work 10-15 hours per week
- Must provide writing samples of previous work.
- Applicants majoring in marketing or communications are preferred but not required
- Be available to work from January through May 2012.
The Department of Recreational Sports is currently looking for a qualified individual to fill the Marketing and Communications Intern position. This position entails working with the Director of Marketing and Communications to effectively communicate with the University of Minnesota community. This position will assist in a variety of areas, including, but not limited to:
- Maintaining all Recreational Sports social networking sites on a regular basis.
- Interviewing Recreational Sports patrons and employees for the Rec Sports Spotlight section of the website.
- Writing and editing content for the Recreational Sports website and print publications.
- Assisting with the communications efforts for the University Recreation Center expansion project (http://recsports.umn.edu/expansion).
- Working with the Director of Marketing and Communications to create and implement departmental marketing plans.
- Working with the Recreational Sports Alumni Office to develop targeted communications campaigns for patrons that either participated in or worked for Recreational Sports programs and services.
- Assisting with the planning of various special events occurring within the department such as indoor triathlons, wellness fairs, and intramural events.
- Selling ad space to target businesses.
- Representing the Department of Recreational Sports at information fairs.
- Working with the graphic design team to ensure that all publications meet specific branding guidelines.
The Department of Recreational Sports prides itself in being one of the best student employers on the University of Minnesota campus. With 6 different program areas, and facilities in Minneapolis and St. Paul, there is surely a spot for you on our team!
Recreational Sports has very high standards for its student employees. Each must take part in a number of mandatory trainings before becoming part of the team. All employees must be certified in CPR/AED, Standard First Aid and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Training. For students that are not currently holding these certifications, classes are provided free of charge upon becoming employed with the department. Specific program areas may require additional training and certifications, so it is suggested to contact the necessary professional staff member prior to applying.
Student employees will develop knowledge about the various programs and opportunities available through the department, and they will also learn about how to best interact with Rec Sports patrons through a comprehensive customer service orientation.
Complete the online U of M online application, attach a current resume and cover letter.
Please also attach a recent writing sample. An example of a writing sample could consist of a paper written for a course or other examples of writing proficiency (Additional Document 1)
Position will begin in January of 2012 and last through the end of May 2012. Any questions can be directed to Brad Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does this position require a background check?
Apply online now.