BA/BS degree and one or more years experience in event management, hospitality management, communications, marketing, public relations or related field, or a combination or related education and relevant experience in event management, hospitality management, communications, marketing, public relations or related field totaling five (5) years. Experience coordinating donor relations. Project management experience that includes independently coordinating projects and effectively carrying out implementation plans.
Experience securing funds/sponsorships for events. Experience managing web content and electronic communications. Demonstrated interest in the environment. Flexible schedule / ability to support occasional evening events as needed. Ability to thrive in a small, team-oriented office. Self-starter. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be detailed and task-oriented. Strong project management and organizational skills.
60% - Manage the planning, coordination and execution of events:
- Collaborate with IonE's communications team to establish and execute plans for assigned events - from the formulation of strategic plans through logistical execution
- Propose strategies and tactics for each assigned event including: defining the experience for guests through program development; determining communication approaches and techniques; overseeing event design (décor, entertainment, menu elements, etc.); collaborating with vendors; and working with IonE's marketing and communications staff to coordinate overall event design, visuals and other aspects of the program
- Manage all aspects of assigned events, which may include, but are not limited to: assembling and managing the project team and related deadlines; invitation development and mailing; presenter negotiation, coordination, communication and logistics; execution of communications and marketing plans; selection, negotiation, and management of vendors; and providing all guest services, from invitation and RSVPs to post-event evaluation
- Develop and oversee assigned event budgets and analyze expenses for future events, including but not limited to, evaluating and securing venues, accommodations, catering, services, rates and contracts; developing expense forecasts; and coordinating payment of invoices
- Assist with fundraising and securing sponsorships for events
- Determine staff and volunteer needs for assigned events
- Solicit staff and volunteer participation, develop and execute event-related training, and ensure accurate and complete execution of all event logistics
- Delegate and supervise project-related work to students, interns, consultants and others, as needed, for each event
- Establish relationships with internal and external partners to facilitate efficient event execution
- Provide event consultation, strategic recommendations, and customer service for events as assigned
- Manage vendor relationships, communication, and contracts
- Manage event details as needed, such as, overseeing or executing data entry, name tag development, reviewing plans and lists for accuracy, and other event-specific details
- Prepare event work plans, timelines, reports, and other required information as appropriate
- Manage and provide on-site event support as needed
- Track and study competitive events and propose co-sponsor opportunities
15% - Event Promotion:
- Coordinate and assist in the development of promotional efforts
- Submit event details to internal and external calendars
- Update event websites
- Create and send out event e-announcements
- Provide information to the Creative Director and the Managing Editor for advertising, press releases, promotional materials and web
- Distribute on-campus fliers and coordinate mailing for promotional materials
- Staff booth at events
20% - Development Coordination:
- Provide on-site assistance and support for development activities
- Conduct donor research using the Donor Management System (DMS) to create invitation lists
- Create and produce invitations, thank you notes and other written materials in support of benefactor engagement
5% - Communications:
- Coordinate reservation of IonE spaces for events and outside groups
- Assist with the bi-weekly IonE e-newsletter
- Work with the communications team on additional projects as needed
The University of Minnesota's Institute on the Environment (IonE) is discovering solutions to the Earth's biggest problems through cutting-edge research, partnerships and leadership development. We're seeking an Events and Development Coordinator to join the Institute's communications and development teams and help us advance this mission.
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications and Public Affairs, the Events and Development Coordinator manages and coordinates strategies, logistics and execution of public events, event-related projects, and benefactor engagement activities. Primary events include the Frontiers in the Environment series, Momentum speaker series, the E3 conference and other IonE-led public events.
This position is supervised by the Director of Communications and Public Affairs.
The majority of the work in this position is performed in a general office setting with occasional physical labor (moving and transporting event materials, etc.).
Apply online now.