- Creating and maintaining media contact lists that target appropriate journalists and outlets
- Assisting with writing, editing and distributing news releases as assigned
- Assisting with writing copy for various publications and promotional material
- Pitching story ideas and securing media coverage
- Assisting in developing and increasing social media exposure
- Providing photo and video material for use by media outlets
- Archiving media clips
- Assembling and distributing media kits
- Additional duties as assigned
The Public Relations/Communications (Unpaid) Intern position requires excellent interpersonal and communications skills as well as the ability to work well as a team member under tight deadlines. A full range of public relations skills, including writing and editing copy for news releases, media guides, letters, commercials/ads and other promotional material is required. Pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related discipline is beneficial. Solid organizational skills and strong interpersonal skills are essential.
Work is primarily performed at Intern’s preferred location; however, may occasionally involve outreach into the community and work at the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra’s office in Bloomington.
Application Process and Deadline: Please submit a short writing sample (e.g. sample press release for imaginary concert or website copy for imaginary concert), two references and your resume or curriculum vitae in hard copy or electronic format to:
The Bloomington Symphony Orchestra Association
ATTN: John Bulger
1800 West Old Shakopee Road
Bloomington, MN 55431
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled, but to ensure full consideration, application materials should be submitted as soon as possible.
No phone calls please.