General: The Education and Communications Specialist plans, manages, and executes MCWD education and communications functions as directed by the Communications Director and Education Manager. The purpose of the Education and Communications Program is to promote awareness and knowledge building that leads to an informed and engaged citizenry which takes actions for clean water and natural resource stewardship.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position carries out education and communication activities within the MWCD, including developing and implementing educational and communications materials, programs, and events, maintaining public contacts and the District website, managing grant requests and applications and general program administration. The Education and Communications Specialist also serves as District liaison to regional watershed education efforts as appropriate and performs other duties as assigned.
Educational & Communications materials
- Create content, design and layout of District publications, signage, and displays.
- Draft press releases, articles, and web pages on water related topics.
- Coordinate printing/manufacture and distribution and/or placement of education and outreach materials.
- Acquire and maintain educational materials, tools, displays, and promotional items.
- Create forms, templates, and other documents.
- Create and maintain a database of digital photographs showing District projects, events and resources, as well as best management practices and general water resources topics.
- Collect and organize watershed outreach materials, technical documents, and education research from outside sources. Make recommendations on how these materials can be incorporated into District materials.
Events, tours, seminars, trainings, and presentations
- Plan, promote, organize, and execute District events.
- Represent the District at local fairs, festivals, neighborhood association and lake association meetings and events.
- Develop and give water-related presentations, demonstrations, and activities in classrooms and other venues as requested.
Contact with the public
- Answer the public’s requests for information.
- Create and maintain the District’s contact database; manage and maintain the District’s electronic list serve and social media outlets.
- Update the website with new material as requested from all MCWD program areas.
- Manage website content by linking relevant information together.
- Add photos and graphics as appropriate to keep a visually appealing and engaging site.
Cynthia Krieg Watershed Stewardship Grant Program
- Advertise grant program before funding round.
- Collect applications and coordinate the review process.
- Make recommendations on appropriation of grant funding.
- Prepare grant agreements and contracts.
- Track grant progress and finances and serve as the District’s liaison to grantees.
- Ensure grant payments are allocated in accordance with program requirements.
- Maintain grant program files.
- Prepare and distribute outreach materials and reports.
- Prepare project, program, and policy recommendations and board requests.
- Prepare monthly and annual reports.
- Participate in strategic planning efforts and development of annual work plans for the Education and Communications programs.
- Provide support to other District programs in developing and implementing strategic communications plans for district projects, programs, and events.
Regional Collaborative Education Efforts
- Serve as District liaison to regionally collaborative education entities such as Metro Watershed Partners, Children’s Water Festival, and others.
- Participate in those programs to help meet District education, communications, and outreach goals.
- Identify continuing education needs and goals and take appropriate classes and training as approved by the Communications Director and District Administrator.
- Notify the Communications Director and Education Manager of any important developments or potential issues that may affect the District.
- Other office and field duties as assigned by the Communications Director, Education Manager or the District Administrator.
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the District’s operations and policies and state rules and regulations necessary to complete assigned responsibilities in a fully satisfactory manner.
- Develops and maintains positive, cooperative, working relationships with all District employees/consultants, city and agency staff, and other stakeholders of the District in contributing to a productive results-oriented climate.
- Provides superior customer service and interaction in a friendly, professional manner.
- Assists other employees as needed to ensure efficient workflow throughout the District.
- Maintains a flexible attitude toward job responsibilities and procedural changes.
- Prioritizes workloads based on feedback from Communications Director and Education Manager.
Education and Experience
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in natural resources or water resource science, education, communications, or urban planning. Applicants must have a minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience in environmental education, communications, natural resources, or public administration. Experience working for a local government or water resource management agency is strongly desired.
- Proficiency with MS Windows XP professional operating system and MS Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Power Point). Knowledge of web editing software and desktop publishing software (Adobe Creative Suite) are desired.
- Strong written and oral communications skills for a variety of audiences.
- Flexibility and ability to work with minimal supervision within a coordinated team framework.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Sound judgment.
- High level of integrity and responsibility; commitment to values of mutual respect, team work, diversity and support for the individual.
- Commitment to environmental protection and grassroots action.
- Valid driver’s license, ability to lift an approximately 50 pounds and willingness to work some weekends and evenings.
To Apply: Submit letter of interest, resume, and job application to Telly Mamayek, MCWD Communications Director at email@example.com or 18202 Minnetonka Boulevard, Deephaven, MN 55391.
Application Deadline: February 24, 2012