Children's HeartLink, like most nonprofits, relies heavily on marketing and public relations to develop awareness and support for its cause. This internship position requires understanding and integrating the disciplines of marketing and communications and assisting the Director of Marketing and Communications with achieving the organization’s marketing objectives. Responsibilities include researching media opportunities and editorial calendars, tracking publicity and maintaining Children's HeartLink media list, drafting news releases and story pitches, supporting local event publicity, planning and executing marketing campaigns—including social media management (e.g., Facebook, Twitter) and copywriting (ad copy, sponsorship proposal editing, collateral, etc).
The internship would also involve collaboration and occasional support for events and fundraising departments. This support might include researching potential funding opportunities for Children’s HeartLink, drafting letters of inquiry, assisting with special mailings and invitations to Children’s HeartLink donors and offering other general office support. Please email your cover letter, resume and any writing samples to Carrie Ellis at Carrie@childrensheartlink.org. For more information on Children's HeartLink, visit www.childrensheartlink.org.
- Good organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional writing skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media tools
- Ability to take direction and work independently, self-starter
- Interest in nonprofit work, particularly causes related to children or international development
- Experience with layout and typography applications, particularly Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and InDesign
- Media writing experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Completion of at least two years of college preferred, in communications, public relations, journalism or other related field