Mission and Purpose
Contribute and further MOCA’s mission:
§ To create an awareness regarding early warning signs that may be indicative of ovarian cancer.
§ To create and promote resources for support, networking, and education for women diagnosed with ovarian cancer and their families.
§ To unite and educate individuals, the medical community, and organizations to achieve earlier diagnosis, better treatment and a cure for ovarian cancer.
§ To advance ovarian cancer research toward earlier diagnosis, better treatment and a cure.
The Public Relations and Communications Intern will support the Communications and Public Education Manager in creating and maintaining communications and media contacts for annual MOCA events and meetings.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: researching and writing press releases and social media/blog updates; developing and updating media contacts and editorial calendars; composing email news; developing and editing MOCA Messenger Newsletter; helping to develop, maintain, and make updates to the new MOCA website. This person will also assist in the development, promotion and planning for MOCA’s public education meetings and new public awareness campaign called Tie it Teal. The work environment is a dynamic, fast paced non profit organization.
Administrative responsibilities (10%):
- Respond as needed to telephone calls and general emails from the public
- Update media contact lists and conduct media monitoring
- Photocopying, filing, and other administrative tasks as needed
Communications responsibilities (80%):
- Develop and draft MOCA Messenger articles, blog posts and MOCA E-news (per schedule)
- Write press releases and pitches as required for special and annual events, community education meetings and other awareness opportunities
- Develop a social media editorial calendar and enhance overall technological involvement of MOCA, including but not limited to social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc. to promote upcoming events and meetings
- Assist in creating and maintaining accurate communications on the MOCA website – online registration, overall content management of MOCA website, blog updates and streaming video and podcasts and other website updates as needed
- Per the MOCA 2012 Marketing and Communications plan, this person will assist in the outreach and coordination of public relations and marketing initiatives such as the Tie it Teal public awareness campaign.
- Other PR/communications responsibilities as assigned, such as interviewing and updating survivor stories, etc.
Other responsibilities (10%):
- Contact local media outlets & utilize community calendars and websites for posting and advertising upcoming events & meetings
- Work with MOCA staff on communications & media outreach opportunities as requi
§ One to two years experience in communications, marketing, public relations or comparable work, educational or volunteer experience
§ Interest and/or experience in health care communications
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work autonomously
- Previous communications & marketing experience desired
§ Experience with Word, PowerPoint and Excel required. Experience with Raiser’s Edge and other Adobe Photoshop and CS2 programs a plus but not required
§ Accurate, detail oriented and responsible
Additional position information:
§ Position reports directly to the Communications and Public Education Manager
§ This position is part-time and unpaid at approximately 10-15 hours per week. There is some flexibility with regard to hours worked but a schedule of set hours is requested, likely 2 days per week
§ Some evening and weekend hours are required for meetings and events, and some travel within the Twin Cities (minimal)
§ Would need a commitment through the summer.
The position is open until filled and available as early as mid-early May 2012, ideally being extended through summer of 2012. Please send a letter of interest and resume to Rebecca Lechner, Communications and Public Education Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.