The Assistant Director is responsible for developing and implementing strategies for effective external communications of the teaching, research and outreach missions of the University. The Assistant Director will:
- Work with the University community to conduct strategic proactive and responsive communications that will include identifying and publicizing news, research findings, accomplishments and achievements that advance the reputation of the institution;
- Continually create and maintain professional, productive relationships with the media;
- Serve as the director's backup as public information officer and spokesperson as needed, coordinating institutional messages and responses with various departments, offices and colleges;
- Help plan for and manage emergency communications, issues management and crisis management strategies for the University to advance the reputation of the institution and minimize risk;
- Work closely with internal communications, special projects and other University Relations functions to ensure that internal and external messages are consistent;
- Advise the director and University administrators or staff on media perceptions, public relations issues and communications strategies and activities to advance the reputation of the institution and minimize risk;
- Strengthen proactive partnerships with internal stakeholders to identify stories, external and internal communications opportunities and strategies to engage partner networks and influencers;
- Provide media relations support for all parts of the University, including media training, advice on presentation to external audiences, effective strategies, consultative services and planning;
- Assist the director in coaching staff in the areas of strategic media relations planning, story pitching and relationship development with U staff and external media;
- Develop key messages, Q&A documents and other communications materials; research, write and distribute press releases to targeted media;
- Identify and make strategic story pitches to local, national and international media;
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in media and public relations, including social media and other innovations that help the News Service to effectively carry out external communications
The Assistant Director of the University News Service is responsible for assisting in the management of the News Service, which is the primary public relations office for the University of Minnesota and the initial point of access for local, national and international media. This individual works in concert with the director and other communicators across campus to manage the proactive positioning of the University in national, state and local media.
Relationships: Reports to the director of public relations.
Develop and maintain strong, positive working relationships with University staff, administrators, college communicators and also members of the media.
Apply online now.