This position reports to the associate to the senior vice president/strategic communications director in the U of M System Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Administration (OAA), which provides academic and administrative leadership for system-wide programs advancing the mission of the University of Minnesota.
The Communications Coordinator will assist the strategic communications director in advancing communications strategies for OAA priorities, congruent with University goals. This includes multifaceted support for University-wide academic programs as well as initiatives in public/urban/statewide engagement.
The individual in this position must be a versatile communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills. He or she will engage with many activities and functions in the Office of the Senior Vice President, with a focus on initiating and managing programs and projects that span a wide range of communications activities, often juggling multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines.
- Within scope of responsibility, provide direction for communications initiatives and activities. Includes advancing activities spanning external and internal relations, publications and presentations, design and branding, marketing/promotion, web and social media, and events and outreach/engagement initiatives.
- Set priorities congruent with overall direction and manage resources and workflow aligned with OAA and University goals, serving as a liaison with directors and colleagues and coordinating print and web projects and project teams.
- Write and edit print and web content to engage a variety of internal and external audiences, to include copy for brochures and marketing collateral, content for e-newsletters and mass emails, and feature stories for print and web. Post and edit web content using CMS tools.
- Develop, write, and edit materials and presentations to support OAA academic administrative needs. Requires ability to synthesize a variety of detailed information and to translate complex material for varied audiences and strategic purposes, with close attention to nuances of wording, style, and tone.
- Collaborate to implement and manage effective social media for OAA programs and initiatives.
- Serve as a resource for OAA programs and units on communications solutions and best practices.
- Plan and carry out special initiatives and events.
- Supervise student employees/interns; manage contractor/vendor resources as applicable (e.g., internal/external services related to design, production, video, photography, and printing).
- Contribute to OAA communications team planning, problem-solving, and creative collaboration.
- Support responsibilities of the senior vice president; represent the director or others as appropriate; attend pertinent university events and meetings; other duties as directed.
- Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism, or marketing with four years of professional communications experience, or non-communication-related degree with six years of professional communications experience.
- Demonstrated experience shaping or coordinating communications for an organization.
- Exceptionally strong writing and editing skills, including demonstrated strengths in writing/editing across many formats and platforms, and translating complex information into effective communications for varied audiences.
- Experience developing and managing content for both print and web channels.
- Experience communicating with stakeholders from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Proven strengths in project management, multitasking, problem-solving, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated collaborative work style; ability to work well with diverse individuals and groups.
- Successful experience assisting leaders and senior staff with projects by working independently or as part of a team.
- Seven years professional experience in communications, preferably in large and complex organizations.
- Higher education work experience and/or experience working with mission-driven organizations such as health care systems, foundations, or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience working with community-based organizations, especially involving diverse cultures/communities in urban contexts.
- Proven skill in communicating effectively to varied stakeholders about complex and interdisciplinary University research, teaching, and outreach.
- Familiarity with design concepts and use of social media in marketing communications.
- Practitioner expertise in one or more of the following areas of focus: videography/video storytelling, graphic design and print production, or photography; Adobe Creative Suite proficiency a plus.
- Ability to work with exceptional resourcefulness and initiative.
- Ability to articulate ideas persuasively and diplomatically.
Applyonline now – requisition number 178736
The University of MN is an equal opportunity educator and employer.