Under the direction of the Director of Communications, the Communications Specialist is responsible for coordinating district-wide communications and public relations activities that create and maintain a favorable image for School District 197. Primary responsibilities include: writing, electronic and print communications, media relations, project management, and leadership support for assigned communications programs and activities.
Essential Functions of the Job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Write for a variety of audiences and purposes including a community news publication, staff e-news, district website, district social media accounts, marketing materials, news releases and other print and electronic communications.
- Edit and proofread print materials for accuracy, consistency, clarity and style.
- Coordinate production of print materials generated by the Communications Department.
- Plan or assist in the development of district and building-level electronic and print materials.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of communications initiatives.
- Assist with coordination of and updates to district-level website.
- Coordinate district social media campaigns such as Facebook and Twitter; assist in the implementation of school/program based social media campaigns.
- Photograph district events and activities for use in print and electronic materials.
- Coordinate district video presence.
- Assist with the media relations function in the district.
- Assist school-based staff with school-to-home communications and promote individual school/program initiatives.
- Support district and school programs, initiatives and events as required of the Marketing and Communications Department.
- Ability to use skills in graphic design and desktop publishing to produce appealing print and electornic publications.
- Ability to work with a variety of vendors (printers, software provides, etc.) to obtain quality products.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including parents, community members, business people, special interest organizations and elected officials.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under stress.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field; prior experience working in communications or public relations preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills; familiarity with AP Style
- Knowledge of communications planning, implementation and evaluation
- Familiarity with a variety of communication platforms (print, Web, social media, video, etc.)
- Proficient in the use of current technology required for the performance of duties, including desktop publishing (Adobe Create Suite), Microsoft Office, digital photography and video production.
- Proficient in social networking tools and comfortable using the Web to communicate ideas and generate dialogues
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences (e.g. parents, general public, elected officials, staff, and outside agencies)
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Previous experience working with public schools and/or knowledge of the School District 197 community preferred.
- Must have the ability and proven record of reporting to work on a regular and punctual basis.
To Apply: apply online at www.isd197.org by July 27, 2012.