The National Youth Leadership Council is a national nonprofit that strives for a world where all young people are valued and called upon to lead; where everyone has the courage to challenge assumptions; embraces multiple perspectives for common purpose; creates stewardship through trust & transparency; and, cultivates communities through inspired individuals. Our mission is to create a more just, sustainable and peaceful world with young people, their schools and communities through service-learning. At NYLC, we develop young leaders, support educators, and advance the field of service-learning. Major focus areas for our work include academic achievement, the achievement gap, teen driver safety, and STEM education. We are proud of our collaborative, vibrant, and accountable culture, and invite you to read more about us at www.nylc.org.
About this job
NYLC is seeking a communications go-getter! If you have a communications, marketing, or related degree and a sound beginner’s background in a variety of areas including design and editing, this entry-level position is the job for you. We’re looking for an articulate, positive upbeat person with strong communications and support skills, initiative, and the ability to learn quickly.
This position implements and carries out tactics that support the organization’s strategic communication and marketing plan. The primary responsibilities of this position are the design and development of print and electronic materials, project management, and internal editor for the organization.
- Develop concepts for and design collateral materials for the organization using Adobe Creative Suite and prepare downloadable PDFs for multiple departments;
- Coordinate the production of the National Service-Learning Conference materials including gathering, organizing, and maintaining all necessary information; facilitate ongoing coordination with Conference and other staff throughout the process; and communicate with vendors on project implementation from planning through layout, proofing and printing;
- Coordinate content for the Leader, NYLC’s bi-monthly e-newsletter;
- Contribute to editorial planning of the department;
- Ensure the needs and communication styles of diverse audiences are met in all communications;
- Copy edit, proofread, and revise communication content,
- Create and edit images for both online and print use;
- Respond to email inquiries through the NYLC website;
- Coordinate and track publication sales;
- Manage copyright permission requests and track usage;
- Manage photo and image libraries;
- Implement branding and style guide;
- Manage vendors relationships and contractors; and
- Assist team with brainstorming, marketing, and advertising strategies.
- Conduct on-site duties at The National Service-Learning Conference;
- Other travel as necessary;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Experience coordinating multiple projects.
- Experience performing graphic layout.
- Experience updating and maintaining websites, including an understanding of basic HTML coding.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to accuracy and detail.
- Strong editing skills.
- High level of comfort with technology.
- Ability to work with, and understand communications needs of, a broad and diverse audience of youth, educators, community partners, funders, elected officials, and other constituents.
- Discipline to work independently and follow through with minimal supervision.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel.
- Intermediate-level skills in Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Marketing experience a plus.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject
line. Closes July 12, 2012.