Work with communications director to manage communications and new media for coalition-based campaign for good jobs and a fair economy in the Twin Cities metro area. Develop and coordinate strategy and message among coalition allies.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Develops message and message discipline among coalition partners
- Manages media relations in coordination with communications director and coalition spokespeople
- Identifies and develops spokespeople for public speaking including events and media interviews
- Writes campaign talking points, speeches, press materials
- Develops campaign literature including leaflets, walk pieces, petitions, postcards, brochures, briefs and backgrounders
- Develops and executes new media plan including website content, email list development, e-mail, social media platforms and texting
- Manages campaign event communications, i.e. strategy, message, location, signage, visuals, materials, media outreach, spokesperson prep, event flow and agenda
- Coordinates communications with partners
- Photographs and videotapes events for communications materials
- Performs other duties as assigned
Must be able to represent the campaign with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations utilizing independent judgment and a high level of professionalism.
Ability to interact with high level organizational and external contacts, including:
· Elected officers and leadership, local and national partner staff, project and program managers, field, political, and organizing directors.
· External: news media, political candidates, elected officials, government officials, partners and allies.
· Vendors: design and production companies, consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, advertising agencies. Ensures that sophisticated choices are made about
appropriate vendors and support services.
Must have demonstrated ability to manage own work and work of others without supervision.
· Requires a high level of judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently.
· Must use a high level of judgment and discretion in resolving problems.
· Must maintain a high level of confidentiality in handling campaign affairs.
· Must be able to work with organizational partner elected leaders and senior staff in complex and sometimes politically sensitive situations.
· Must be able to act and organize time with extreme independence.
· Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects
simultaneously and set and meet deadlines, and ensure that staff team does the same.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field. Five to eight years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns. Experience in organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies preferred.
· Thorough knowledge of media relations strategies.
· Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems.
Knowledge of advertising techniques and familiarity with aspects of print, new media and broadcast production preferred.
· Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
· Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
· Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations.
· Skill in the use of a personal computer and software
applications, including Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge and experience in utilizing Adobe Creative Suite preferred. Experience using Wordpress, BSD and various social media platforms preferred.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Long and irregular hours.
Application Instructions: Copy your cover letter and resume into one word document, then upload it into the Upload Resume field at the following link - http://bit.ly/P4GQlm.
This is a term position and is commensurate with the length of the campaign.
Minnesotans for a Fair Economy is an Equal Opportunity Employer