- Master's degree in a technical area such as computer science, engineering, MIS, interactive marketing;
- 5 years experience assisting in the startup of institutes or new
initiatives; program implementation related to social media; and
interactive marketing or business analytics;
- Excellent oral and written communication;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem solving skills
- 6-10 years experience in program implementation related to social media, interactive marketing or business analytics;
- Experience in higher education;
- Ability to effectively organize and manage multiple projects;
- Ability to deal with ambiguity related to new initiatives
This position is the key administrative position for the Social Media and Business Analytics Collaborative (SOBACO)
- Works with director to formulate and execute SOBACO's vision and
strategic plan to further the mission of SOBACO, the Carlson School and
the University of Minnesota.
- Creates budget and work-plan that supports SOBACO initiatives and
strategic plan. Uses appropriate University systems to provide budget
oversight and accomplish necessary tasks to meet the SOBACO's goals.
- Directs SOBACO's human resources and supervises staff following
Carlson School and University policy and procedure along with
appropriate employee class guidelines, rules and bargaining unit
- Serves as a member of the leadership team, listens and collects
information to appropriately draft policies and standards of
- Ensures appropriate individuals have access to and/or understand
the information they need to perform the tasks they are responsible for
to support SOBACO's mission.
- Supervises the planning of and participates in ensuring all SOBACO
events (conferences, workshops, and industry networking events) are
professional, timely and within budget.
30% Research and Education Development
- Works with director to develop strategic partnerships with
companies who would have an interest in addressing the types of
questions outlined in the overview above.
- Develops relevant experiential learning project opportunities for
Carlson School and University of Minnesota students with companies in
the area of social media and business analytics.
- Acts as liaison with faculty, the various Carlson Enterprises and
institutes/research centers in order to facilitate the dissemination of
knowledge from student and faculty projects.
- With director, explores and implements opportunities for new
research initiatives and dissemination of research/project results
(i.e., conference presentations, publications, reports, etc.)
- Acts as liaison with research faculty, corporate partners, Office
of the General Counsel and the University of Minnesota to structure
appropriate legal arrangements for joint and sponsored research.
40% Communication/Outreach & Relationship Management
- Supervises the development and dissemination of SOBACO
publications, especially through social media (such as Facebook,
Twitter, You tube and Blogs) and marketing/PR materials including,
annual reports, newsletters, research reports, working paper series,
- Identify relevant faculty research and convert that into content
that is disseminated broadly through multiple social media and
traditional channels (such as newsletters, research reports and white
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with and
collaborations between other Carlson School and University units as well
as the social media and business analytics community
- Maintains the SOBACO website's content, keeping it current, interesting and relevant to stakeholders.
- Identifies information to share with the broader community and
works with the school's marketing/communications services to disseminate
information appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Create industry oriented work product such as white papers from faculty research.
- Provides oversight and management of SOBACO's advisory and affiliate groups.
- Acts as a liaison, building relationships with and between
internal and external constituents, such as advisory groups, boards,
faculty affiliates, student groups, alumni, and other collegiate units.
- Receives inquires from internal and external constituents and ensures the appropriate response.
- Keeps up to date in the fast evolving area of social media, big-data and business analytics.
** The employer reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position **
The Social Media and Business Analytics Collaborative
(SOBACO) is an interdisciplinary research center with the goal of
bringing scientific rigor and expertise in addressing many of practical
challenges faced by firms and society in today's rapidly evolving social
and big-data landscape. The advent of a social layer over what has
been multiple decades of exponential growth in computing, communications
and data has opened up an array ofApply possibilities in how we
conceptualize interactions between consumers, firms and industry
structures. SOBACO is envisaged as a large-scale real-world applied
laboratory where industry and academia intersect to answer a variety of
questions, from peer influence effects on consumption and discovery of
products, pricing of digital media, to designing next-generation
recommender systems and enquiries into the changing preference
structures of Generation Y and Z consumers.
Apply online now.