Managing a team of staff and contractors, this position will develop and lead communication strategies, including publications, media relations, and social media, for Feed My Starving Children’s (FMSC) marketing department to keep constituents, media, and staff aware of key developments at FMSC and in food relief. The incumbent will act as chief writer/editor for print and online material key to cultivating generosity and loyalty among constituents, and will also support and guide local MobilePack event promotion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create effective strategies for annual communications plan and manage the day-to-day implementation.
- Act as chief editor, content planner, and production manager of recurring publications, including monthly MANNA enewsletter, staff newsletter, annual report, and other periodicals.
- Write, edit, and proof assigned pieces, including partner reports, direct mail appeals, blog posts, editorials and articles, position papers, presentations/speeches, education materials, and web content.
- Supervise, develop, and manage performance of direct reports in marketing department.
- Retain and provide work direction and supervision to external design, videography, and media/public relations vendors.
- Write and distribute news releases, using media database to identify appropriate target media and pitch content. Monitor and collect media placements; measure results and generate reports as requested.
- Manage media relations, responding to requests in a timely manner; coordinate interview and information requests with executives and staff; prepare them for media interactions; serve as FMSC spokesperson when necessary.
- Guide MobilePack hosts in use of online tools, editing locally-produced materials and collaborating to maximize local event coverage.
- Create and maintain an editorial Style Guide to ensure proper and consistent language and style usage; train staff and vendors as needed.
- Create and maintain a press kit and media materials; build and maintain online (FMSC.org) newsroom.
- Assist National Marketing Director in crisis/issues management with effective prepared statements, responses, and positions.
- Monitor and assist in development of annual budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Commitment to support, promote, and authentically communicate FMSC’s Christian mission and goals.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, English, Communications, or related major.
- 5-10 years of experience in communications, public relations, news media or media relations.
- 3-5 years of experience in team leadership and management, preferably in a creative communications environment or role; proven ability to develop employees to a high level of performance.
- Strong and fast writing skills with ability to communicate complex topics concisely; versatility to write either AP news or promotional style in a variety of genres, formats, and media.
- Strong verbal, interpersonal communication, and collaboration skills; ability to professionally interact with all levels of internal and external contacts and work effectively in a team environment.
- Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects under tight deadlines and change.
- Excellent judgment in high-stakes situations that require a balance of transparency and discretion.
- Self-starter; ability to work well independently and under pressure in a fast-paced environment; willing to work as needed outside a typical work day and week.
- Advanced competencies with Microsoft Office.
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and three samples of work to email@example.com, noting “Communications Manager” & you first & last name in the email subject line. Preferred samples include a news release, pitch letter/email, and a media placement; a full portfolio will be requested of those invited to interview. Position is open until filled.