People Serving People: Since 1982, People Serving People has grown to become the largest family-focused shelter in Minnesota. Our mission is to serve homeless children and their families and provide new opportunities for healthy, stable family life. Through partnerships with over 21 neighborhood agencies and the help of over 1, 500 volunteers annually, PSP is truly helping families find their way home.
Job Description: The Communications and Public Relations Intern will work closely with the Volunteer and In-Kind Coordinator to help with administration and execution of community volunteer programs and donations. Main functions include keeping accurate records of volunteer group service, contact information, developing opportunities, and communication with volunteers and in-kind donors. Assist with holiday volunteer opportunities, events, and donation drives.
· Assist with screening volunteers for various departments.
· Assist with volunteer orientations used to introduce prospective volunteers or donors to the shelter.
· Maintain the records of volunteers involvement in the database and other areas.
· Assist with donation drives.
· Maintain the records of donors in the database and other areas.
· Assist with the creation of event displays, brochures and other print materials for events.
· Assist team with administrative duties related to event.
· Assist development team with other events or development tasks as needed.
· Computer - Basic skills in Microsoft Office Programs.
· Communication - Ability to communicate clearly, accurately, thoroughly and professionally through speaking, listening and writing.
· Interpersonal Skills - Ability to interact effectively with a variety of people.
· Flexibility - Comfortable working both independently, and with direction.
· Judgment - Ability to identify critical information and use it to choose effective courses of action.
· Program Management - Ability to manage in a productive manner, implementing the policies and philosophies of People Serving People.
Academic Background and Commitment Required:
· Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds preferred.
· Course work or previous experience in public relations, communications, marketing or non-profit administration.
· Must be available October - January 15th with a minimum of 12 hours per week. Monday – Friday anytime from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Valuable career experience for future employment opportunities and resume
· Academic credit may be arranged through individual college/advisor
· Community networking opportunities with many well respected individuals
Position opened until Filled. For more information about this internship or other opportunities available, please visit www.peopleservingpeople.org/contact/jobs.php