This position works directly with the marketing team to implement marketing strategies, promote and create awareness for United Way through general audience and donor projects/events and assist with marketing research and planning. This position may also aid with the implementation of publicity and online communications as a complement to assigned projects.
This internship is located in downtown Minneapolis at Greater Twin Cities United Way. The internship will include a stipend of $500 for the semester, $250 to be paid after the first eight weeks and a second payment of $250 to be paid at the conclusion of the internship. United Way also reimburses parking expenses, up to a fixed weekly amount.
Department: Marketing Reports to: Integrated Marketing Project Manager
Time Commitment: 15-20 hours weekly, January through May 2013. Hours and work dates are flexible (within an 8 a.m.-5 p.m. workday) and may be set according to an intern’s class/work schedule. Hours may include some night and weekend events.
Deadline: Applications accepted through November 2, 2012.
- Assist with execution of plans for United Way events.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment/management, event day logistics, post-event communication/ evaluation, compiling materials and other event-related activities.
- Help develop and solicit in-kind donations. May include cold-calling, lead follow-up, tracking, contract management, recognition at and attendance at sponsored events.
- Participate in site visits to determine volunteer/décor/event needs.
- Conduct research and development of future projects and events.
- Assist in writing communication pieces including letters, newsletters, web content, invitations, data tracking and reports.
- Assist on other marketing projects as assigned.
- Student currently enrolled in a degree program in marketing, communications, public relations or liberal arts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to work on multiple projects.
- Event planning and management experience preferred.
- Gain valuable experience in nonprofit administration, event coordination and donor relations.
- Strengthen communication, coordination, fundraising and customer service skills.
- Gain knowledge of and experience with customer relationship software (CRM and Andar).
- Broaden knowledge of United Way, health and human service organizations, and the nonprofit community.
- Network with corporate communicators, marketing staff, and United Way donors.
- $500 stipend and parking reimbursement, up to a fixed weekly amount.
Please apply online, must include one document that has cover letter, resume and two (2) writing samples** to:
**Resumes without writing samples will not be considered for this position. Samples could include: social media, blogging, website articles/postings, PR samples, etc.