The research writer is responsible for media communications and public relations that showcase SDSU's research enterprise; internal/external communications activities that enhance awareness of SDSU and strengthen its position in the market; and that build upon an established brand and cultivate the University culture. The position is a 12-month appointment and reports to the University's Director of Marketing and Communications.
Responsible for managing communications and media relations associated with the University's research enterprise and working as the primary author to effectively describe and promote the organization and its products to a range of regional and national audiences. The successful candidate will also be responsible for increasing South Dakota State's presence in national newspapers, magazines, online news, national TV and radio, and other media.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Write and pitch research news releases, programs and feature stories to national news outlets
- Write and pitch expert alerts to regional and national media to comment on stories or regional, national and international interest
- Respond to requests from national print and broadcast media
- Work with other members of University Relations to develop a strategic plan that will maximize the use of the University's social media platforms
- Identify key University initiatives and programs that have regional and national news interest
- Increase the visibility of key University administrators in regional and national media
- Create an editorial calendar for use in the strategic timing of certain pitches
- Create a process that increases the number of op-ed placements by faculty, staff and students
- Manage media research database and national media lists
- Coordinate news release distribution through University's contracted media services
- Create and maintain an experts list and develop means for making them easily accessible for interviews via existing and emerging technologies
- Provide guidance, reporter background and/or media training for faculty to enhance media interview preparedness
- Reports monthly media relations metrics and measures on earned media efforts
- Assist with the development of video and other content for sdstate.edu.
- Bachelor's degree required in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, English, Marketing, Business or related field.
- 3-5 years' experience required in university communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy for work
- Ability to summarize and interpret facts and trends as it pertains to complicated and technical materials
- Ability to present the results of research, type, content and form of articles required for publication by newspapers, magazines and trade journals
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including proof reading, grammar, and spelling
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and within established budgets
- Confidence to take a project from concept through final application and execution
- Five or more years' experience in public relations, journalism, communications, or related field preferred
- Analytical skills and ability to organize complex information into internal documents
- Proven ability to think strategically and execute
- Ability to work independently or as a team player
- Outgoing and charismatic, yet maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Creative and innovative, yet detailed-oriented
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have expertise and proficiency with presentation software, word processing software, and basic knowledge of spreadsheet software plus experience researching issues and accessing information on the internet.
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications.
South Dakota State University is a land grant university founded in 1881 and the state’s largest institution of higher education with an enrollment of 12,816 students with over 200 majors and minors, and 12 PhD programs. SDSU is located in Brookings, S.D., a community of approximately 20,000 near the east central border of South Dakota and Minnesota. The city has an excellent K-12 education system, is accessible to major services, has an active cultural and social environment, and has numerous recreational activities within driving distance. Brookings is 50 miles north of Sioux Falls, a metro area approaching 200,000. SD State has a very strong commitment to building a better South Dakota through excellence in teaching, research, service and economic development.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1336325848012
and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, resume, and reference page. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
For questions on the position, contact Mark Luebker, Search Chair Mark.Luebker@sdstate.edu or 517-410-8580.