position is responsible for the development, project management and
implementation of strategic communications plans that advance Blue
Cross’ statewide community-based prevention initiatives. This position
works in one or more of the following areas: public relations, social
marketing, content management and digital/interactive communications.
role may also provide general communications and brand guidance to
organizations that receive funding through the Center for Prevention.
Provides strategic communications counsel; develops and implements
communications plans for defined Center for Prevention projects.
Responsible for ensuring communications plans have clear goals,
objectives and measurable outcomes, are fully integrated and adhere to
2. Contributes the Center’s ongoing work in one or
more of the following communications disciplines: public/media
relations, social marketing, content management and digital/interactive
3. Writes and edits a variety materials including:
press releases, promotional copy, commentaries, speeches, online content
and internal communications.
4. Provides project management for
large communications initiatives, working with management to ensure they
are tracking according to key milestones, outcomes and budget.
Stays current on communications trends and researches approaches that
have proven effective in other organizations and industries; recommends
appropriate strategies and tactics for consideration.
6. Builds and
maintains strong relationships with Blue Cross staff, community
partners, statewide media and other key stakeholders. As assigned, may
also support coalition efforts.
7. Serves as a liaison between the
Center for Prevention, corporate Blue Cross and the Blue Cross
Foundation to ensure communications adhere to corporate brand standards
and are well-aligned, while also meeting the Center’s communications
needs and objectives.
8. Provides communications and brand
guidance/approvals to funded communities. May participate in designing
training materials, templates and other resources to support
communications technical assistance.
9. May oversee work performed by
external communications vendors. Responsible for alerting management if
project or budget is not tracking as agreed.
10. Demonstrates leadership by serving as a member of cross-functional teams.
Bachelors degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations,
Public Affairs or Business or related degree and 3 years of related work
experience; or 7 years of related work experience in lieu of a degree.
Demonstrated experience implementing integrated communications programs
that include earned, paid, owned and social media elements. Direct
experience working on both public/media relations and advertising
- Excellent writing, editing, and publication
skills with demonstrated ability to develop accurate and appropriate
communications in a variety of forms.
- Excellent oral and
interpersonal communications skills; ability to work and negotiate with
key contacts, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated project management skills for coordinating the planning and implementation of major campaigns.
Excellent research, problem-solving and analytical skills with the
ability to work under tight time frames; adapts easily to change and
- Exceptional judgment, integrity and poise under pressure.
- Advanced degree in business, public affairs, public relations, or communications is desirable.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in public policy; health-related is desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of public, private and nonprofit sectors; direct work experience across two or more is desirable.
BlueShield of MN is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
Employer, M/F/D/V. BlueCross BlueShield of MN is a drug free workplace.
Candidates are required to pass a background check and drug test before