Recruitment Type: Open Competitive. The following position is open to internal and external applicants.The Metropolitan Council is the regional planning agency serving the Twin Cities seven-county metropolitan area by providing essential services to the region. Employing approximately 3,700 employees, the Council works with local communities to provide these critical services:
- Metro Transit bus system, light rail and commuter rail services
- Wastewater collection and treatment
- Community planning for future growth
- Affordable housing opportunities for low-and moderate-income households
- Planning and funding for regional parks and trails
Metro Transit is the largest provider of transit service in the seven-county metropolitan area and one of the country's largest transit systems. The agency operates bus and rail service essential to the region’s mobility, and also provides resources for carpooling, van pooling and bike commuting. Metro Transit helps people get to where they're going, reduces regional traffic congestion and promotes a cleaner environment.
The Digital Communications Specialist will work with the Creative Services Supervisor to implement a social media plan that builds and maintains Metro Transit's brand and encourages ridership and loyalty. The position will include responding to customer inquiries, pitching content ideas, coordinating with project managers and partners on communication efforts, maintaining web content and developing content (text, photos, videos, etc.) for social media channels.
Examples of duties:
Create social media content that deepens connections with Metro Transit customers and drives traffic to metrotransit.org.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, English or related field
- At least two (2) years progressive experience working with social media.
- Experience with social media and video creation.
Equivalency: A combination of six (6) years experience may be combined with education and years of progressive experience working with social media.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication skills, journalistic skills (writing, editing, proofing, photography, design awareness) and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a consistent, clear "voice" through social media interactions.
- Ability to capture and edit digital photos and videos.
- Strong sense of urgency and commitment to meeting tight deadlines with quality work product. Ability to communicate and work well with management, customers, internal staff and project partners.
- Capacity and willingness to coordinate communication activities with project partners.
- Commitment to working with diverse communities within the Twin Cities.
- Willingness to take on various assignments to achieve positive results for the agency.