Primary writer and editor of Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) communications to constituents, volunteer community, donor base, media contacts, and staff. Manage media relations, coordinate contractor assignments, and assist with MobilePack™ Event marketing and promotion.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· Write and edit assigned communications pieces, including direct mail and email appeals, sell sheets, brochures, event invitations, event scripts, blog posts, articles, position papers, presentations, educational materials, and web content.
· Write and edit recurring publications, including monthly internal and external e-newsletters, and FMSC’s annual report.
· Collaborate with National Marketing Director to develop and implement FMSC’s annual communications plan.
· Manage media relations by responding to requests, coordinating interviews with executives and staff, preparing them for media interactions, and serving as FMSC’s spokesperson when necessary.
· Coordinate the work of outside writers, PR contractors, videographers, and designers.
· Write and distribute news releases using a media database. Monitor and collect media placements.
· Assist with MobilePack event marketing and promotion by educating event hosts in using online tools, editing their PR materials, and maximizing local event coverage.
· Create and maintain a press kit and media materials; build and maintain online (FMSC.org) newsroom.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
· Commitment to support, promote, and authentically communicate FMSC’s Christian mission and goals.
· Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, English, Communications, or related major.
· 3-5 years of experience in marketing, communications, public relations, and/or news media or media relations.
· Strong and fast writing skills with ability to communicate complex topics concisely; versatility to write either AP news or promotional style in a variety of genres, formats, and media.
· Strong verbal, interpersonal communication, and collaboration skills; able to professionally interact with all levels of internal and external contacts and work effectively in a team environment.
· Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and able to prioritize and manage multiple projects under deadlines.
· Excellent judgment and discretion in sensitive situations.
· Self-starter; ability to work well independently and under pressure in a fast-paced environment; willing to work as needed outside a typical work day and week.
· Advanced competencies with Microsoft Office.
Schedule & Details:
· Benefits-eligible, full-time, exempt (salaried) position. Typical work schedule is Monday-Friday during daytime business hours. Some evening and weekend hours required. Occasional local and out-of-state travel required.
· Work location is Coon Rapids, MN.
· Reports to the National Marketing Director.
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and three samples of work to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “Communications Specialist” & your first & last name in the email subject line. Preferred samples include a news release, pitch letter/email, and a media placement; a full portfolio will be requested of those invited to interview. Position is open until filled.