This position advances the agency’s mission and priorities by providing communications support across the Department of Human Services (DHS) Health Care Administrations (HCA). HCA oversees Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP, or Medicaid) eligibility and benefit policies, program development, member & provider relations/outreach, health care payment systems, evaluation, state MinnesotaCare operations and county administration of health care programs. This position reports to HCA’s Chief Administration Officer (CAO) and works closely with HCA’s communications manager, management/supervisors/staff and DHS media relations. Primary responsibilities include communications planning, implementation, tracking, creative design and project management.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
- Provide communication leadership and support for HCA projects and activities.
- Developing print-based, online and collateral materials and opportunities that inform the general public and key stakeholders about the mission and services of HCA programs and services.
- Supporting HCA media relations activities in conjunction with the DHS Communications Office.
- Participating in project meetings and activities as a communications specialist and resource, creating talking points and implementing communication strategies which reflect HCA’s work and key issues.
- Creating and maintaining HCA internal and external web pages consistent with DHS communications standards.
- Two years of advanced professional experience OR One year advance professional and 2 years professional experience; Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or in related field may substitute for 1 year of professional experience OR Master’s Degree in Journalism, English or in related field may substitute for 18 months of professional experience.
- Extensive knowledge of journalistic and public relations principles, practices and techniques.
- Excellent writing, editing, organizational skills and independent work skills, as well as the ability to meet strict deadlines and balance multiple demands simultaneously under time pressure and in stressful situations in a rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly in both the journalistic and standard office styles and in plain English.
- Demonstrated ability to gather complicated information and organize it into an easily understandable format.
- Excellent research, event planning and organizing and project management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in person and in writing.
- Ability to work well with the media liaisons, supporting them in responding to reporter’s requests.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people both inside and outside the agency and have the sensitivity and respect for cultural and other differences.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of the department’s mission, goals, programs, operations issues, delivery, structure and procedures.
- Working knowledge of the legislative process and protocol and political sensitivities.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified candidates MUST apply through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the state’s official hiring site. Below are detailed instructions on how to submit your resume and apply. If you have additional questions you can contact the recruitment office at 651-431-3674 or email@example.com. Please be sure to apply at your earliest convenience before the position closes at MIDNIGHT on THURSDAY, JANUARY 30th, 2014.
Submit your resume:
1. Visit www.careers.state.mn.us
2. Select “My State Job Search” (upper right hand corner)
3. Select “Create a My State Job Search Account”
4. Complete the instructions under New Account
5. Once your account has been established, select “Resume Builder”
6. Build a resume or paste a text copy of your existing resume
7. Use the “Job-Specific Questions” space for your cover letter (optional)
8. Complete required sections of “Supplemental Information”
9. You MUST click “Submit Your Resume” at the bottom of the page!
Apply for the HCA Communications Coordinator opening after you have created your new account and submitted your resume (note: the state classification for this position is State Prog Admin Prin):
10. Select “Apply for Jobs”
11. Select “Apply for Positions”
12. Enter this posting number: 14DHS000027
13. Select “Continue” and verify the position is correct
14. Select “Apply”
• Save your user ID and password for future use.
• Make sure your resume clearly states all relevant skills and experience, along with the beginning and ending months and years of each position you have held.• If you have any difficulties, contact the website helpdesk at 651-259-3637 or firstname.lastname@example.org