Twin Cities Public Television, a Star Tribune 2013 Top Workplaces Employer, is seeking a skilled and experienced Creative Services Director that is responsible for the design and creation of print, digital and video content of non-program length – a service provider to all tpt departments requiring these skills. Functionally, this group embodies the former Design and VPR departments, with a new Director of Creative Services overseeing these production units.
The Director of Creative Services will lead a team that works collaboratively with internal and external clients to define projects, organize and assign internal and external resources, manage workflow, and supervise the overall creative process. She/He is responsible for delivery of assignments on schedule and on budget, executed in a manner consistent with tpt and PBS Brand Standards, and meeting the needs of the client. She/He will supervise a staff of producers, editors and designers, establishing and maintaining priorities and deadlines, and will report to the Vice President of Production.
· Lead a team of designers, producers and editors in the creation of broadcast, digital and print media for internal and external clients.
· Set a high standard for creative thought and expression, requiring that level of work consistently from the staff.
· Collaborate with internal and external teams to understand client objectives, define assignments, brainstorm and pitch ideas.
· Assume primary responsibility for the workflow in the department.
· Be personally capable of producing top-quality design work as required.
· Be accountable for on-time, on-budget delivery of creative deliverables.
· Provide creative and managerial guidance/feedback on work product, coaching staff for improvement and growth.
· Prioritize projects based on budgets, resources, capabilities and capacity.
· Provide strong creative and strategic expertise, leading improvement in the overall effectiveness of existing work products and processes.
· Monitor industry trends and innovations, translating learning into departmental improvement (including structure and roles, skills and competencies, new technologies, etc.).
· Recruit and supervise fulltime and freelance employees (as required).
Serve as a member of the Content Leadership Team – representing Creative Services to the rest of the senior leadership.
Required Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will be a creative self-starter and a strong communicator: a strategic thinker, designer and story-teller, with a strong sense of authenticity in tone and style. She/He will have a minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience in a creative workplace, and will possess a portfolio demonstrating her/his highly creative and successful work in broadcast, digital and print media. The ability to collaboratively solve problems is essential, as are the abilities to delegate and work cross-functionally with multiple departments.
The ideal candidate will be flexible and adaptable, with the proven ability to oversee multiple projects and budgets simultaneously, often on tight deadlines and with limited resources. She/He will have strong organizational and customer service skills, and be comfortable, experienced and successful in pitching ideas and gaining the approval and satisfaction of clients. Experience in creating and managing budgets is essential, as are strong supervisory and coaching capabilities.
Finally the ideal candidate will have sensitivity to – and preferably experience in – a mission-based organization.