The Uptown Association (UA) is a nonprofit organization that promotes the Uptown community
as a safe, prosperous, accessible, well maintained and environmentally responsible commercial
and residential area. One of the most active business associations in the City of Minneapolis, UA
creates events and programming, communicates with key public figures and ensures the safety
and prosperity of the community. The Association is also well known as the producer of the
nationally acclaimed Uptown Art Fair, now in its 51st year.
JOB DESCRIPTION- Full time position
Uptown Association seeks a candidate who will assist in the overall direction, planning,
management and evaluation of the Uptown Association efforts and the Uptown Art Fair including but
not limited to the performance areas listed below. This candidate will also support the day-to-day
operations of the Association. Daily work is under the supervision of the Executive Director with
monitoring provided by Board of Directors.
This position requires a broad knowledge of event planning, public relations, strategic planning, project management and tactical execution. The candidate must be a self-starter who can manage multiple tasks at once and meet tight deadlines. Team players, who are adaptable and independent problem solvers will succeed in this position.
- ART FAIR COORDINATION: Assist in execution and planning of Art Fair and related events; oversee direct implementation of work plan and timeline; accountable to administering approved budget; assist with volunteer coordination; coordinate communication with vendors and city agencies; assist with public relations and promotions for events; participate in evaluation of ideas; assist in management of all relationships/ tasks.
- COMMUNICATIONS: Maintain effective relationships with Association partners; assist with writing of communication pieces including newsletter, email blasts, inserts, social media outreach, advertisements, grants, assist with copy for website
- MEMBERSHIP: Update member database as needed; take calls from members and prospective members as needed; help to plan and execute member-related events and benefits; assist with growth and retention; assist with renewal s; communicate as needed on issues pertinent to Uptown; collaborate with ED to create opportunities for increased recruitment and revenue
- ADMINISTRATION: Keep and maintain accurate records; assist in the integration of interns; answer phones; greet visitors; represent UA at meetings and events as needed; monitor approved budget; complete regular maintenance of office computers and equipment; motivate, coach and engage relationships such as with Board, interns, committees
- EVENTS/ PROGRAMMING: Evaluate program effectiveness; create and develop materials for events and meetings; track reminders and follow-up; participate in evaluation of ideas; recruit, organize and supervise special projects as needed
- WEBSITES/DATABASE: Oversee website content including but not limited to front end updates, data management, and system trouble shooting. Coordinate Association message through management of e-newsletter and social media channels
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, event planning, public relations or marketing preferred
- 2-4 years of experience in related field
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong oral and communication skills
- Superior writing skills are a must. Writing samples are welcome. Strong attention to quality and detail; ability to manage time efficiently, meet deadlines and work independently and within a team are essential
- Extensive familiarity and hands-on social media experience
- Supervisory experience with ability to lead teams, foster the professional development of
- interns and volunteers and managing projects
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Duties require sitting and standing for extended periods of time
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience writing grants and city permits
- Experience with database management software
To apply for this position, e-mail a resume and cover letter to HR@uptownminneapolis.com by April 18, 2014. Cover letter must include your salary requirements in order to be considered. NO CALLS PLEASE.