SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers in service industries and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration, economic wins for workers and education reform. We are now hiring a Communications Director in Chicago to work on exciting campaigns to organize workers across the region. The role of the Communications Director is to ensure that the local develops and implements a robust communications program, internally with members and staff, and externally (e.g. earned and social media) to effectively convey Local 1’s key messages.
Key Job Responsibilities :
- Act as chief spokesperson for SEIU Local 1, its members and officers;
- Manage, coach and develop members of the communications staff;
- Develop long- and short-term strategies for effectively distributing the union’s message;
- Frame messages and promote a favorable image of the union with members, the general public, the news media, working people and allies;
- Establish and maintain relationships with local media across the union’s territory;
- Produce and supervise the production of newsletters, website, social media content, news releases, OP-ED’s, talking points, letters to the editor and other materials;
- Plan, organize and oversee media events;
- Develop and implement proactive earned media and social media outreach;
- Prepare workers and other allies to talk with the news media or at events; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Journalism, Communications, English or related field;
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of communications experience in a progressive organization, politics, journalism, unions or other related field;
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience leading the communications function and managing communications staff;
- Fluency in Spanish or Polish a plus;
- Ability to present ideas that are clear, creative and reach intended audiences;
- Ability to cultivate relationships with members of print, broadcast and online media;
- Thorough understanding of design programs such as InDesign, Photoshop and WordPress;
- Project management skill and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
- Travel required and willingness to work long and irregular hours.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary is competitive and negotiable;
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation;
- Car allowance.
SEIU Local 1 is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/3hjbfh2