Hospitality Minnesota, a coalition of trade associations, is seeking an events and communications specialist. This is an immediate opening for a full time position in the Saint Paul area. Responsibilities include carrying out a broad range of event planning and communications functions. The responsibilities include oversight of logistical details for meetings, seminars, conferences and special events; as well as communications support for publications, websites, social media and event materials. Attention to detail, strong writing skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities are required.
A successful applicant should have previous experience in event planning and communications. A four-year degree in mass communications or a similar field is preferred. To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
TITLE: Events and Communications Specialist
SUPERVISOR: Marketing and Communications Manager
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for event planning and communications support for the Minnesota Restaurant Association, Minnesota Lodging Association and Minnesota Resort & Campground Association.
NEED FOR FLEXIBILITY: The responsibilities outlined below form the basis of this job at this time. However, the nature of this position may change from day-to-day and year-to-year. Thus, these responsibilities must be taken merely as an outline, with the understanding that they are fluid and new or different assignments will often be necessary.
· Plan and oversee logistical details for meetings, seminars, conferences and special events. Major events include the Minnesota Hospitality Expo, Hospitality & Tourism Day at the Capitol, Golf Tournaments, MRCA Fall Conference, Holiday Parties/Award Ceremonies.
· Serve as main liaison for Expo exhibitors for booth sales, booth assignments and logistical details.
· Oversee selection of venues, negotiate with site for costs, and review contracts.
· Work with venues on event details: room set-up, counts, A/V equipment, meal selection or refreshments, signage, etc.
· Serve as on-site contact for events and oversee set-up and registration when necessary.
· Following events, review invoices for approval and investigate any discrepancies in fees.
· Work with the controller to prepare and adhere to budgets, track expenses, and submit a profit/loss statement following the seminar or event.
- Assist in planning, ordering and execution of decorations, flowers, centerpieces, entertainment, slide presentations, entertainment, meals, etc.
- Staff committees as assigned. Work with committee chair to develop focus for the year. Handle meeting notices, agendas, minutes and committee generated projects.
- Assist with communications functions, which may include writing, editing, proofreading and formatting a variety of print and electronic publications such as magazines, newsletters and legislative updates.
- Assist with the maintenance of four member websites: setting up event registrations, adding content, removing dated information.
- Assist with the marketing of special events, conferences and educational programs.
- Assist with development of event materials such as handouts, binders, agendas, printed programs, PowerPoint presentations and signage.
- Assist with media relations including writing and distributing press releases.