The Associate Publicist is critical to the successful execution of agency public relations campaigns, including but not limited to media relations, social media, blogger relations, influencer engagement and event support. The Associate Publicist is will support senior members of the account team while also leading small to mid-sized client business.
85% Current Client Management and Execution
15% New Business Development
Responsibilities for the Associate Publicist:
· Prepare and disseminate information regarding client’s organization through newspapers, periodicals, television, and radio and other forms of media that meet both the needs of the client and those of the media.
· Lead small and medium local and/or national accounts.
· Work under Sr. Publicist on large and/or national accounts.
· Develop comprehensive, creative and successful campaigns.
· Ensure features are obtained, press releases are effective, clients are prepped and execution is flawless.
· Monitor media for opportunities for additional exposure or possible problems or issues.
· Develop and lead social media strategy.
· Establish genuine and trustworthy relationships with journalists, reporters, editors and bloggers.
· Generate new media leads through research, networking and referrals.
· Research and keep abreast of each media contact’s interests and story needs and provide value by presenting options and commentary.
· Lead tactical execution of campaigns.
· Delegate tactics to other team members as needed.
New Business Development
· Generate leads through networking, referrals, events and other sources.
· Assists Sr. Publicist with research and preparation of new business proposals.
· Keeps management informed by collecting, analyzing and summarizing concerns, data and trends.
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge consisting of: attending professional workshops, reviewing, professional publications, establishing personal networks, reviewing best practices and participating in professional societies.
· Approve Assistant Publicist and Intern documents and activities.
· Provide final edit for all Intern activities.
Associate Publicist Requirements:
- Bachelors degree (degrees in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications preferred)
- Knowledge of the inner workings of the media
- Knowledge of MAC computers preferred
· Strong Microsoft Office skills
- 2+ years of experience in public relations or journalism fields. Preference given to those with agency experience
- Creative and strategic thinking abilities
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a strong emphasis on writing and copy editing/proofing
· Strong knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a public relations firm
· Ability to develop strong relationships with media personnel and recognize opportunities for stories
· Strong organizational and follow-up skills
· Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced environment
· Incredible attention to detail
· Ability to work independently and with teams
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, lead and manage up to three direct reports
- Ability to create strong relationships with prospects, clients and the media
- Self starter, extremely motivated, takes initiative
- Ability to work on and manage teams
To apply send resume and cover letter to email@example.com