The Ordway, recognized as one of the U.S.’s leading not-for-profit performing arts centers, is home to a wide variety of performances throughout the year that encompass the finest in American musical theater, world music, dance, and vocal artists. Performances take place in the 1,900-seat Music Theater, and a new 1,100-seat Concert Hall.
Position PurposeThe Public Relations Intern is responsible for assisting the PR Manager in the daily and long term operations, activities, and Public Relations initiatives.
Candidate Attributes: A successful candidate will have a background and interest in public relations, be able to work both independently and as part of a team, be able to manage time effectively, excel in fast-paced environments, and have a passion for the arts.
Key Performance Areas
- Provide administrative support to the PR Manager, including conducting research, capturing media coverage, managing media lists, updating archive files, coordinating interviews and preparing paperwork
- Prepare and assist in the creation process of communications materials, including media pitches, press releases, newsletter stories and social media messaging
- Assist with event promotion and attend PR events in a support capacity
- Participate in team meetings and brainstorming sessions
- In collaboration with the Marketing department, participate in community outreach events that strengthen the Ordway’s relationship with the general public (such as the Flint Hills Children’s Festival)
- Pursing or recently completed a degree in Public Relations, Communications or other related major
- Excellent writing/copyediting skills and knowledge of AP Style
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- At least one year of administrative experience
- Posting Date: 4/1/15
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Employee Type: Part-time, 12-20 hours a week, flexible schedule
- Department: Public Relations
- Reports to: Public Relations Manager
- Timing of Position Opening: June 2015
- Salary: unpaid, parking reimbursement