This position is responsible for the development, project management and implementation of digital communications strategies and tactics that advance Blue Cross’ statewide community-based prevention initiatives. The Digital Communications Principal is primarily responsible for supporting web development and online engagement, graphic design, photography and video production. This position also requires strong writing and advocacy skills in order to advance the Center’s mission of making healthy choices available for all Minnesotans.
The Digital Communications Principal may also assist in providing communications technical assistance and training to organizations that receive funding through the Center for Prevention.
1. Website development and maintenance
a. Act as a liaison between Center for Prevention communications and advocacy staff, external agencies (web developers, hosting companies, communications agencies, etc) and Blue Cross IT.
b. Lead the technical development of new digital platforms, ensuring that statements of work include detailed functional specifications and requirements. Oversee work performed by external agencies from concept through implementation.
c. In collaboration with senior communications and advocacy consultant, provides management and oversight of online community forums hosted by the Center.
d. Ensures websites and other online channels remain secure and that the end-user experience is optimized. Provide recommendations on enhancements to Center staff and leadership.
2. Graphic design
a. Conceptualizes and designs a variety of external and internal communications materials, including printed collateral, presentations, web platforms and e-newsletters.
b. Selects and directs external vendors such as illustrators, photographers and designers, managing all components of the vendor relationship. Gather all documentation for photography and illustration files.
3. Video production
a. Partners with other team members to support, design and finalize video content, and video distribution plan.
b. Selects and directs external vendors, including videographers and creative agencies.
4. Writes and edits copy for use on digital platforms, including the Center for Prevention website, social media channels and online community forums; enters content into content management platforms.
5. Builds and maintains strong relationships with Blue Cross staff, community partners, vendors and other key stakeholders. May participate in meetings with coalitions and external agencies in order to support our policy and advocacy goals.
6. Provides technical assistance, training and consulting to funded communities. Provides guidance on how to use digital communications to further agreed upon policy, systems and environmental changes. Sources and develops training materials, templates and other resources to support communications technical assistance.
7. Demonstrates leadership by serving as a member of cross-functional teams and providing informal mentoring to team members when appropriate.
8. Accurately tracks and manages budgets for all assigned projects and vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Graphic and/or Digital Design, or related major and 5 years of related work experience; or 9 years of related work experience in lieu of a degree.
- Experience in web and print graphics development, including knowledge of effective graphics optimization and digital design techniques.
- Expert knowledge of design software including Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator and InDesign; strong experience with Microsoft Office programs. HTML coding proficiency.
- Thorough knowledge of web content management systems and content development processes, best practices and emerging trends and technologies. Direct experience with Sitecore and Zimbra platforms is highly desirable.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with demonstrated ability to develop accurate and appropriate communications in a variety of forms.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communications skills; ability to work and negotiate with key contacts, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated project management skills for coordinating the planning and implementation of major campaigns.
- Excellent research, problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to work under tight time frames; adapts easily to change and shifting priorities.
- Financial management and budgeting skills.
- Exceptional judgment, integrity and poise under pressure.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in public policy and/or health-related issues is desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of public, private and nonprofit sectors; direct work experience across two or more is desirable.
- Masters degree in business, public affairs, public relations, communications or related field is desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; formal or informal leadership of people and projects.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic.