The Communications Director for the Office of the Mayor is a politically appointed
position that is responsible for building and executing a strategy for
communicating the Mayor’s policies and vision to a multitude of
audiences throughout the city, state, region, and country, using a
variety of tools and platforms. The director is also tasked with shaping
office-wide messaging, collaborating with other City departments on
internal and external messaging, and providing strategic counsel to the
The director serves as the office’s on-the-record
spokesperson and is responsible for providing representatives of news
media with accurate and timely responses to inquiries. This position
optimizes various communications tools to support the efforts of the
Mayor and the City.
Grow your career with a growing and vibrant
world-class city that prides itself on being clean, green, diverse and
active. What sets Minneapolis apart?
• We have a robust and diverse economy, with industry and businesses of all kinds.
• We are in the top five creatively vital cities in the country.
• We’re a racially diverse city, home to large immigrant and native communities.
• We are an inclusive city, with a strong LGBT scene.
• We’re known as one of the most bicycle-friendly cities.
• We love the arts: Minneapolis is second only to New York City in per capita attendance at theater and arts events.
• We have one of the premier park systems in the country, with 170 parks covering more than 6,700 acres of land and water.
• We have 22 lakes, giving us the nickname “The City of Lakes.”
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with senior staff and Mayor to help execute her agenda for the year.
• Create and execute strategic yearly, quarterly, and weekly media plans that advance the Mayor’s vision and agenda.
• Speak on the record for the Mayor’s office, and connect the office and the new media.
• Pitch the media on the Mayor’s policy priorities and produce media events to promote the Mayor’s agenda.
• Coordinate logistics and prepare the Mayor for all interviews; staff the Mayor at all press-attended functions.
responses to press inquiries with City communications staff,
Minneapolis Police Department Public Information Officers, and other
• Support the development of mayoral speeches, including
the State of the City speech and the budget address, and coordinate
speech-related media and logistics.
• Advise the Mayor and the Mayor’s staff on communications strategy and tactics.
• Maintain and update content on the Mayor’s website.
an accurate list of media contacts and build productive working
relations with key members of the media, especially media organizations
that report regularly on City government.
• Build productive working
relationships with City Council members, City staff, and communications
staff at partner organizations.
• Keep the Mayor and the Mayor’s
policy team apprised of local, regional, and national media developments
and coverage of issues and activities related to the Mayor’s agenda.
• Attend weekly meetings with the Mayor.
At least four years’ experience in communications or public relations; government or campaign communications a plus.
is an appointed position with competitive compensation. Salary is based
on past related experience with a salary range of $73,201-$80,907 per
year. The benefits package includes medical and dental coverage, a
health and wellness program, health reimbursement accounts, flexible
spending accounts, pension plans and deferred compensation retirement
savings, vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays.
application, resume and cover letter are required. Application
materials received by November 30, 2015, will be considered first.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
• On-the-record experience.
• Strong command of effective social-media communications.
• Knowledge of website operation and basic graphic design.
• Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, while seeking strategic guidance when needed.
• Ability to communicate effectively with multiple audiences across a range of platforms.
• Ability to craft and execute long-term strategy while responding to fast-paced, day-to-day demands in a timely fashion.