We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Sr. Manager, Corporate PR & External Communications. The Sr. Manager, Corporate Public Relations contributes to a high-performing external communications team, protecting and strengthening the corporate reputation of St. Jude Medical. The Sr. Manager is responsible for recommending effective media strategy and corporate messaging to media and other key stakeholders to drive awareness of, drive engagement with and positively position the company. This role will also be responsible for providing public relations and communications advice and input for issues management and for coordinating all communications during high-profile crisis events. The Sr. Manager will also provide communications counsel, support, input and materials development for financial and government affairs communications. The role requires consultation and coordination with other areas of the business to integrate communication activities in traditional and social media. This role requires a versatile executive-facing communicator, who is able to work independently and who has with strong written and verbal communications skills, and experience working in a fast-paced, global corporation.
Each employee can make a difference at St. Jude Medical and has the power, either individually or as a team, to influence the success of the company. We are team-oriented, fast-paced and progressive. We value people with great ideas who partner with others both internally and externally to take action and accomplish goals.
Impact this role will have on St. Jude Medical:
- Assists in the development and execution of the annual corporate Public Relations strategy.
- Serves in a media relations thought leadership capacity for the External Communications function. Interacts with media at the local, trade and national newswire level, acting as a company spokesperson, creating and delivering media strategy and key messages.
- Develops and leads high-quality external communications for business and financial company news including preparation of materials for the quarterly analyst call.
- Works collaboratively with internal communications to ensure alignment with communication plans.
- Works in partnership with broader communications teams and other areas as necessary to align strategies and drive holistic corporate messaging and programs.
- Demonstrate an awareness of sensitivities of investor and analyst relations, corporate giving programs, government affairs, reimbursement and market access and any other discipline that could influence the company’s reputation.
- Provides training / guidance to executives in effective delivery of key messages to internal groups and external audiences, including media interviews, speeches and presentations.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with key media contacts at business and regional publications, both print and digital. Proactively pitches story ideas and responds to incoming media inquiries.
- Develops and executes on crisis communications / issues management communications, providing strong counsel and support to the leadership within External Communications and Senior Leaders during issues and crises.
- Measures the impact and value of communications activities and provides regular updates to leadership. Counsels product public relations team on PR strategies and tactics to address potential issues or to proactively manage the Company’s reputation.
- Identifies potential high-profile corporate issues, prepares for and executes successful issues management communication tactics, and advances issues management best practices.
- Contributes to discussions that advance PR best practices across the PR function, including but not limited to monitoring relevant news flow and tracking broader health care trends and policy stories to identify potential opportunities for St. Jude Medical to increase its share of voice in media coverage.
- Responsibly handles highly confidential information, including details associated with mergers or acquisitions and confidential organizational announcements.
- Maintains a safe and professional work environment.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Prepares reports on department activities as needed, including daily media monitoring, weekly and quarterly reports.
- Manages project budgets.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
Your experience(s), education and knowledge will further expand St. Jude Medical’s marketplace success:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public affairs, marketing or related field.
- 7-10 years’ experience in public relations, including at least three years directly interacting with media in the medical device or health care industry.
- Accomplished writer/editor and can translate complex, technical information into simple and compelling stories.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross division business unit model preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business model.
- Ability to work effectively within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced changing environment -- multi-tasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
Primary Location: USA-Minnesota-St. Paul
Other Locations: USA-Texas-Plano, USA-Texas-Houston, USA-Texas-Austin
Job: CM-Public Relations
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Posting Date: Jan 19, 2016
Candidates can apply online with job number 150001ZV: http://www.sjm.com/corporate/careers.